DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Electrical and Wiring > Access to Jetted Tub Electrical - Code Considerations

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-26-2013, 12:50 PM  
Curmudgeon10
Projects

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Access to Jetted Tub Electrical - Code Considerations

Our jetted tub is plugged into a conventional outlet mounted on the floor next to the tub, which is behind tiled and drywall/stud walls. To meet code, the builder left an opening in the drywall/stud wall directly behind one end of the tub, and covered the opening with a grill normally used for return air ducts.

In conjunction with other remodeling, I've moved the location of this opening, and made it somewhat smaller (but still ample room to work on the electrical if the need ever arose).

My question is this: did the builder use the return grill merely as a matter of convenience, or is there a general code requirement that the cover be vented since there is an electrical device (pump) running, which generates heat?

If heat buildup is not a consideration, and the code makes no requirement that the opening be vented, I'll install a solid cover, which will look better.

Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2013, 10:15 AM  
Wuzzat?
Banned

Liked 167 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 94

You may want to exhaust excessive heat and humidity from that room.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:20 AM  
speedy petey
Lic.Electrical Contractor

Liked 39 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuzzat? View Post
You may want to exhaust excessive heat and humidity from that room.
From UNDER the tub??

Old 01-27-2013, 10:20 AM  
speedy petey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon10 View Post

My question is this: did the builder use the return grill merely as a matter of convenience, or is there a general code requirement that the cover be vented since there is an electrical device (pump) running, which generates heat?

If heat buildup is not a consideration, and the code makes no requirement that the opening be vented, I'll install a solid cover, which will look better.
There is no requirement that the access panel be vented.

Old 01-27-2013, 12:48 PM  
Curmudgeon10
Projects

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

OK, thanks a lot.

Old 01-27-2013, 01:22 PM  
Wuzzat?
Banned

Liked 167 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy petey View Post
From UNDER the tub??
If you prefer.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:55 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 798 Times on 711 Posts
Likes Given: 1360

It shouldn't be a grill, you don't want bathroom moisture getting under there.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:31 PM  
Curmudgeon10
Projects

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

To end this, the opening is not in the bathroom, but in the wall separating the bedroom from the bathroom. One end of the tub buts up to this wall in the bathroom; the other side, in the bedroom, is simply plain wall.

If need be, one could reach through this opening (after removing the grill) and remove the plug from the outlet that was installed to power the tub. It's difficult to envision anything else being accomplished because of the length of the reach and the inability to get both hands in the vicinity of the electrical stuff.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:48 PM  
BridgeMan

Liked 75 Times on 67 Posts

What say you, Petey, regarding the OP's hot tub pump being plugged into a floor outlet within water-traveling distance in the event of a leak or tub overflow? Doesn't exactly sound like it would be a very safe (or code-acceptable) situation. Similar to a State HSD inspection I did last year, where Joe Handyman wired up the bathroom fan/light switch so anyone could reach it while standing in the bathtub/shower (he moved it from across the room to less than a foot away from the shower valve, inside of the enclosure).

Saving people from themselves is always a challenge.

Old 01-29-2013, 12:07 PM  
speedy petey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BridgeMan View Post
What say you, Petey, regarding the OP's hot tub pump being plugged into a floor outlet within water-traveling distance in the event of a leak or tub overflow? Doesn't exactly sound like it would be a very safe (or code-acceptable) situation. Similar to a State HSD inspection I did last year, where Joe Handyman wired up the bathroom fan/light switch so anyone could reach it while standing in the bathtub/shower (he moved it from across the room to less than a foot away from the shower valve, inside of the enclosure).

Saving people from themselves is always a challenge.
I don't think it's an issue at all. If we wired and built for every unforeseen problem that could possibly happen then we'd never be able to build anything. Your scenario is just like folks having a problem with receptacle under sinks. What if there is a leak? Yeah, so what. IF that happens the receptacle is the least of your worries. Besides, receptacle don't spontaneously explode, catch fire or short out if they get wet.
Besides, I doubt the receptacle in the OPs situation is actually face-up. Even if it were, how would it be ANY different than the pump motor itself getting flooded??

I also don't have a problem with a properly wired switch within reach of a shower. WHY is this an assumed problem for you?

Closed Thread

Quick Reply