DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Electrical and Wiring > Adding an electric garage heater

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-31-2008, 09:01 PM  
scottman1027

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyod View Post
Yes, But you need to find out if your panel can take one. they are only made for a few panels mostly newer panel and there is dozen different types.

15 amps x 120v = 1800 watts

Almost every electronic device has a wattage on it.. Just add them up
Ok I just went and looked in the panel and it already has a couple dual breakers in there. ( Duh, should have looked in there to begin with )
So now I assume the panel accepts them since they are in there, is there a specific type or brand I should look for? Maybe just match what is already there?

I am comfortable with replacing/adding 110v breakers, that I have done. Adding a 220v will be new for me. Any advise or safety tips besides turning off the main power first? What size wire should I run for a 30 amp 220v circuit?

Thanks again for all the help!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2008, 11:51 PM  
triple D

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Breakers

It's always safest to match the brands when buying breakers. The wire you need is a 10-2 Romex w/grnd. This wire will work for a unit that does not require a neutral. If you need a neutral, you must run a 10-3. Be sure to color the white wire with a black or red or brown Sharpie or permanent marker in the panel full length and in the heater as this correctly identifies the wire as a current-carrying conducter.

Last edited by triple D; 01-31-2008 at 11:57 PM.

Old 02-01-2008, 06:02 AM  
scottman1027

Quote:
Originally Posted by triple D View Post
If your panel was manufactured in the last 30 years you can get a peanut or tandem breaker for it. All you do is remove 2 breakers that are same size, like single pull 20's or 15's, and replace with peanut. This opens up one spot wich is all you need, cause you already said one was open? Good luck, and if you are not an electrician, always turn off main breaker before working in panels or with power at all....and you probably should have somebody around to watch ya.
Thanks for the advise. Are those peanut breakers like half the size of a normal breaker? If so, sounds like a couple of those would do the trick.

Old 02-01-2008, 09:14 AM  
guyod

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I always get the wrong breaker when i go to buy one.. i would take a break with you to match it up. just make sure the brand is the same and has the same prongs on the back..

The first time I install a 220 breaker it was on a sub panel box and 220 would only work in certain spots which i didn't know.. i went crazy for like 2 days trying to figure it out. but i don't think main panel should have that problem..

the peanut breakers are the same size as a normal breaker there is just 2 breakers in 1 circuit breaker.

Old 02-01-2008, 11:36 AM  
scottman1027

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyod View Post
I always get the wrong breaker when i go to buy one.. i would take a break with you to match it up. just make sure the brand is the same and has the same prongs on the back..

The first time I install a 220 breaker it was on a sub panel box and 220 would only work in certain spots which i didn't know.. i went crazy for like 2 days trying to figure it out. but i don't think main panel should have that problem..

the peanut breakers are the same size as a normal breaker there is just 2 breakers in 1 circuit breaker.
Glad I am not the only one that buys the wrong breaker the first time!

Taking the old breaker along sounds like a good idea. Thanks for the help!

Old 02-17-2008, 06:16 PM  
jack3140

just a little caution here make sure the spaces are on the same side of the panel in order to get 240volts

Old 10-05-2009, 11:16 PM  
henrywilson

Only 30 amp is available. Here I am sending you a link where you can get the more information about your need.electric panel heaters
This may help you. Thanks for sharing with us.

[url=http://www.e-tradecounter.co.uk/p-157-monterey-electric-panel-heater.aspx]electric panel heaters[/url]

Quick Reply