DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Electrical and Wiring > Air Compressor Timer

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-27-2008, 05:28 AM  
CraigFL

The only thing you need to be sure about with the timer is that it will handle the current for your compressor. So many of these cheap timers won't consistantly switch/carry 15A from a motor start. And if it's 20A or 220V, it will be more difficult to find a heavy duty timer/switcher.

Now if you wanted to be really clever, you would build a timer with a motor starter into a box and attach a pressure switch contol timer circuit --- if the pressure doesn't build to 20psi in 5 minutes, the circuit turns off....

Last edited by CraigFL; 01-27-2008 at 05:32 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2008, 07:00 AM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 124 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 302

Default Hey

Now why didn't I think....O" never mind....
Those are great ideas....but I think he's still replacing the connecting rods.

Hmmmm....Motion sensor compressors....scare the heck out of any unsavory characters trying to lift your stuff.

This needs to go in the invention post...........

Just My
Made in the

Old 01-29-2008, 11:06 PM  
triple D

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default what the @uc$?

I would have to say if you broke your rods, the motor would be big enough to melt a bathroom switch, or a wind up timer. The response with the motor contactor,( in the compressor world, we call this a mag start) would be the only correct help for you. But to help you properly set this up safely and to code we would need to know the volts, amps, and horse pwr. of new pump motor. If you woke up and the thing was running with broken rods, it was either toast to begin with, out of oil, or you broke a hose or pipe in the night? Anyway i'm guessing 20-30 amp 2pole? pwr. from brkr. into rated disconnect switch, then into mag start, then to compressor. On mag start there is on/off switch. If you can't remember to turn off this switch, it has a low enough current through it that you could bypass this and run through a wind up timer, NOT A PUSH BUTTON 1 5 10 15 MIN. TIMER! But a wind up timer rated for at least 15 amps and 1500 watts and I'm betting 240v for mag coil. Ask more if you need more.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:18 PM  
dyhunter

I too have been wondering about getting a timer on my compressor. The problem is that if the compressor is running when the timer shuts it off, then the compressor will not bleed the back pressure. When the power comes back on, the motor is then jammed. There should be a way to make something that if the compressor is runnig, the power is left on until the compressor shuts down.

Old 08-08-2011, 03:01 PM  
Johnboy555

I've been up and down these forums for a while now and I still can't understand why some of these ppl fail to READ the post before they have "THE ANSWER"......

Come on guys please READ first!!

Thank you very much!! lol

Old 08-08-2011, 03:03 PM  
Johnboy555

Hey... just a thought...
How about wiring in a "photo cell"?? It would have to be wired into a relay to handle the amperage probably, but you don't work in the dark do you??

Old 03-07-2014, 11:54 AM  
infoNS

I think this multi function timer should do the trick. It looks as though you just have to run a few wires, set up your timer schedule on the device, and your have an easy digital timer! Price point, not bad, especially for the technology used. Compared to other timers, like Intermatic and Tork, this seems like it would be the best fit.

Electronic 7 Day Timer Switch|Universal Equipment Timer | Nanospark

Old 03-07-2014, 11:57 AM  
infoNS

I think this multi function timer should do the trick. It looks as though you just have to run a few wires, set up the timer on the device, and it is ready to go! Price point, not bad, especially for the technology used. Compared to other digital timers, like Intermatic and Tork, this seems like it would be the best fit.

Old 03-07-2014, 12:00 PM  
infoNS

I think this digital timer switch should do the trick. It looks as though you just have to run a few wires, set up the timers schedule, and it is ready to go! Price point, not bad, especially for the technology used. Compared to other digital timers, like Intermatic and Tork, this seems like it would be the best fit.

Old 03-07-2014, 05:00 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 848 Times on 757 Posts
Likes Given: 1465

Quote:
Originally Posted by infoNS View Post
I think this digital timer switch should do the trick. It looks as though you just have to run a few wires, set up the timers schedule, and it is ready to go! Price point, not bad, especially for the technology used. Compared to other digital timers, like Intermatic and Tork, this seems like it would be the best fit.

Welcome aboard,, this question really old, A bit of waiste of time.

Quick Reply