DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Electrical and Wiring > Air Exchangers

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-18-2011, 01:36 PM  
Jabberwalkie

Default Air Exchangers

I am renting a place where an air exchanger was installed, and never worked from day one. I have gone through all the wiring systematically, and deduced that the controls are wired properly as well and the controller on the side of the unit. The mother board has two jumpers (red and black) that feed the fans both of which have 45 volts or 4.5 volts it then leads to a capacitor and nothing is coming out the other end of the capacitor. any suggestions . Greentek air exchanger model 3.12

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2011, 03:26 PM  
kok328
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 104 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 61

there is quiet a difference between 45 and 4.5 volts to not be able to tell the difference but, based on what your saying you would want to replace the capacitor.

Old 01-19-2011, 03:34 AM  
Jabberwalkie

Default capacitors

How likely would it be that both capacitors would be broken right from the factory? There doesn't seem to be many forums out there on this topic so my guess is that this doesn't happen very often.

Old 01-19-2011, 11:42 AM  
Jabberwalkie

Polarization is what the greentek rep told me it would be a problem with the receptacle, but having checked it there doesn't seem to be a problem? I did a continuity test on the exchanger and got a reading of 0.385 ohms. it is a automatic digital greenlee multimeter so I am assuming it sets itself to x1. I am beating my head against the wall here.

Old 01-19-2011, 12:46 PM  
paul52446m

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwalkie View Post
Polarization is what the greentek rep told me it would be a problem with the receptacle, but having checked it there doesn't seem to be a problem? I did a continty test on the exchanger and got a reading of 0.385 ohms. it is a automatic digital greenlee multimeter so I am assuming it sets itself to x1. I am beating my head against the wall here.
Do you have a wiring diagram you could show me and maybe some pic?
paulm989@hotmail.com Paul
PS- Polarization has nothing to do with testing continuity.
Polarization means is the black wire at the control the hot line or is the white one the hot.

Last edited by paul52446m; 01-19-2011 at 12:52 PM.

Old 01-20-2011, 03:09 PM  
Jabberwalkie

I think I got it figured out. I wired the plug up with an open neutral (white wire to hot, black wire to neutral) and plugged in the hrv and got the fans to fire up for 10 seconds intermittently. So power was making it to the fans on the neutral side but not the hot side. So I did an continuity test attaching my voltmeter to either side of the plug and was picking up a reading of 0.385. So it is still under warranty I got a new motherboard on the way. I think I will pull out the old electrical text books and get the colour code values for resistors and diodes, and maybe I can pick out which one has bit it. thanks for the help everyone.

Quick Reply