DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Electrical and Wiring > Bathroom light need relacing

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-13-2013, 10:22 AM  
JeremyB

Likes Given: 12

Maybe I will pick up a new switch today and give that a go.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2013, 03:25 PM  
JeremyB

well that was the problem.

Turned the power off removed the old one, installed a new one and stuck a piece of electrical tape over top of the wiring terminals for piece of minds. Light turns on faster now too.

Old 02-13-2013, 04:06 PM  
Fireguy5674

Liked 35 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Ok Jeremy. If you only have two wires, a white and a black in the box where the switch is you can tie them together to see if the switch is bad. What you have is called a switch leg. Yes, turn the breaker off first!

The way they have it wired at the light fixture will determine which wire brings power to the switch and which takes it back to the fixture. As far as checking the switch it makes no difference. I normally use the black wire to bring power in and white to send it back to the light.

At the light fixture what color wire is hooked to the black wire of the light? It is possible if you check you will find that a single white wire could be hooked to the black wire there. If it is black to black going to the light then there should be a white wire tied in with a black wire or wires somewhere in the box for the light. Again it makes no difference as far as checking the switch. Just a teaching moment.

In summary, after you turn off the breaker if you only have two wires at the switch tie them together, turn the breaker on and see if the light works. If it does turn the breaker off and change the switch. Sorry I tend to get long winded. Just trying to explain the what and why.

Last edited by Fireguy5674; 02-13-2013 at 04:08 PM.

Old 02-13-2013, 04:27 PM  
JeremyB

No Problem Fireguy I appreciate the explanation. Always good to keep learning but it was indeed a bad switch. Just paid a couple bucks at home depot and I was good to go.

Old 02-13-2013, 05:25 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 840 Times on 751 Posts
Likes Given: 1456

To make it easy, the switch connects black to white, conecting the wires just bypasses the switch.

Old 02-13-2013, 05:42 PM  
JeremyB

Cheers Neal,

I figured a couple bucks to try it out on a new switch was worth it. In the end it was

Quick Reply