DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum

DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum (http://www.houserepairtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Electrical and Wiring (http://www.houserepairtalk.com/f9/)
-   -   Build Thread: LED Light Strip with Automatic Door Switch for Kitchen Pantry or Closet (http://www.houserepairtalk.com/f9/build-thread-led-light-strip-automatic-door-switch-kitchen-pantry-closet-17201/)

trogdor 01-10-2014 07:19 AM

Build Thread: LED Light Strip with Automatic Door Switch for Kitchen Pantry or Closet
 
I'm thinking of taking on a new project. We recently decided to use this hallway closet as our kitchen pantry. Previously, these goods were stored on a bookshelf in the kitchen. It looked like a dorm room.

Since this closet has no light source, other than what spills in from the hallway and kitchen, my plan is to add a 16 foot LED strip across the inside door jamb, connected to a push-type switch that will turn the lights on when the door is opened, and off when closed.

There is no power in the closet, but in the picture that shows my hand pointing, there is an outlet on the opposite wall from which I am planning to draw power to the closet switch. The switch will be wired to the LED power supply, which will be wired to the LEDs. That's the plan at least.

I have listed that parts I'm planning to use, but that is likely to change. I'm just posting what I've found online so far.

Attached are a few photos and a diagram of my scheme. I welcome constructive thoughts from this knowledgable forum. My handyman status is probably a 6.5 on a scale of 1-10.

Switch, $13.75: Lee Electric 209DN 600-Watt Door Light Switch, http://www.amazon.com/Lee-Electric-2...m_sbs_indust_3

LED Power Supply, $15.75: Ledwholesalers 30 Watt LED Power Suppply Driver Transformer 120 to 12 Volt DC Output, 3207, http://www.amazon.com/Ledwholesalers..._bxgy_hi_img_z

Lights, $11.88: Hitlights Warm White Flexible Ribbon LED Strip Light, 300 LEDs, 5 Meters (16.4 Feet) Spool, 12VDC Input, http://www.amazon.com/Hitlights-Flex.../dp/B005GL5UG2

http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/...6/IMG_1731.jpg

http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/...6/IMG_1732.jpg

http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/...6/IMG_1733.jpg

bud16415 01-10-2014 07:48 AM

So your plan is to add a new outlet in a box inside the pantry that taps into the box on the other side of the wall? This new outlet will be controlled by the door switch and the power box will be plugged into this switched outlet?

trogdor 01-10-2014 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bud16415 (Post 98417)
So your plan is to add a new outlet in a box inside the pantry that taps into the box on the other side of the wall? This new outlet will be controlled by the door switch and the power box will be plugged into this switched outlet?

I was not planning to install a new outlet. I was only planning to tap into the wires that lead to the existing outlet and run those wires to the switch.

bud16415 01-10-2014 08:33 AM

You could run power from your existing box thru the wall and then to the switch assuming the switch is an approved junction box and then go from there to a box that you would plug the transformer into. The other method would be to plug the transformer in and leave it powered up all the time and then switch the low voltage side thru the door switch. Both methods require a place for you to plug the transformer into. You can’t just cut off the plug and wire it thru a hole in the wall into your existing outlet box. At least that would be my understanding of code here.

I once had a gizmo that attached to a door frame and had a pushbutton that controlled a light built into the gizmo. Kind of what you are thinking about. It had a line cord and you would plug it in. I doubt they still make these though.

If it was my house I would tap thru the wall using all surface mounted wire raceway and put in a ceiling light and switch.

Blue Jay 01-10-2014 08:48 AM

I have 3 closets setup that way, did it when building so it was easier to install. Ran the wire thru a regular switch so if I need to work on the push button I could turn the power off that way. Two of the doors are bi-fold so it was interesting to get the adjustment right. Don't know about the LED strip if it would give off enough light for what you want.

Wuzzat? 01-10-2014 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue Jay (Post 98422)
Don't know about the LED strip if it would give off enough light for what you want.

http://eeref.engr.oregonstate.edu/@a...mendations.pdf

You'd have to ask the LED people what lux their product supplies at what distance. Good luck with getting an answer to that one.

trogdor 01-10-2014 09:21 AM

Whether there'll be enough light is the very last of my worries. There's already enough light to see what we need as it is. This is 25% practical and 75% fun project/wow factor.

And then you account for the fact there are 300 LEDs on that strip. Too dim? Yeah, right.

trogdor 01-10-2014 09:27 AM

Build Thread: LED Light Strip with Automatic Door Switch for Kitchen Pantry o...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bud16415 (Post 98421)
You could run power from your existing box thru the wall and then to the switch assuming the switch is an approved junction box and then go from there to a box that you would plug the transformer into. The other method would be to plug the transformer in and leave it powered up all the time and then switch the low voltage side thru the door switch.


Those are great suggestions. Thanks. I think I will add the latter to my plan.

bud16415 01-10-2014 10:39 AM

I have done similar “WoW” factor projects. Never in a pantry but cool is cool wherever it is. In my old house I did quite a bit with rope lighting in a home theater. Hope you do it and when you get done post some pics.

Blue Jay 01-10-2014 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trogdor (Post 98428)
Whether there'll be enough light is the very last of my worries. There's already enough light to see what we need as it is. This is 25% practical and 75% fun project/wow factor.

And then you account for the fact there are 300 LEDs on that strip. Too dim? Yeah, right.

Thought you were trying to get light to see by. I don't go for Wow factor just practicably. And yes I still use incandescent bulbs.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:11 AM.