DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Electrical and Wiring > Can anyone explain to me the thing squared in red

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2012, 10:40 AM  
Wuzzat?
Banned

Liked 167 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy petey View Post
1 You cannot be serious.

2 What is your area of expertise?

3 "Continually Trying To Prove Folks Wrong

4 And NO, no normal electrician, or any other kind of electrician, is going to rent a 50kW load to load test a 200A service. Not in the real world at least.
1 What's your guess?

2 See above, #1

3 Reality attacks false beliefs in a hundred little ways, every day. If I'm bringing reality to you in the form of E=IR, you should be grateful. It costs you nothing and I am certainly not being paid for this service.

4 Maybe they should.
The HO is paying for X watts delivered to his/her house at some minimum voltage Y and some maximum voltage Z as measured at the most distant outlet. The more numbers and measurements used, the less "spin" and "hand-waving" works.
In this case, numbers = reality, and reality frequently sucks. That's why politicians avoid it.

This is business.
Imagine getting your electric bill for $xx.xx and you tell PoCo, "My payment to you will be 'adequate' or 'fair' or 'reasonable'."
You'll be reading by candle light in a New York minute.

IMHO, the problem is that you are dug into your position and so you will lose face if you change it.
If you were easier on yourself, you'd set a more reasonable goal that is short of perfection. Something like, Diligently try not to make the same mistake more than once (once you know it's a mistake).

Did you notice how I shifted from analyzing circuits to analyzing you?

Last edited by Wuzzat?; 11-05-2012 at 11:07 AM.

Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2012, 11:08 AM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 802 Times on 715 Posts
Likes Given: 1362

So the next time I have a flat on the side of the freeway, I should have the compression checked or rebuild the foo foo valve.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:45 PM  
speedy petey
Lic.Electrical Contractor

Liked 39 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuzzat? View Post
1 What's your guess?

2 See above, #1
I don't play those games.

Quote:
3 Reality attacks false beliefs in a hundred little ways, every day. If I'm bringing reality to you in the form of E=IR, you should be grateful. It costs you nothing and I am certainly not being paid for this service.
I'm sorry if my reality is attacking your beliefs.
At this point you are not bringing anything. So there goes that theory.

Quote:
4 Maybe they should.
The HO is paying for X watts delivered to his/her house at some minimum voltage Y and some maximum voltage Z as measured at the most distant outlet. The more numbers and measurements used, the less "spin" and "hand-waving" works.
In this case, numbers = reality, and reality frequently sucks. That's why politicians avoid it.
Then let the POCO pay for this "service" since it is they who are providing the power. The electrician is just providing the means to get said power to your home in a complaint, legal and safe manner.

Quote:
This is business.
Imagine getting your electric bill for $xx.xx and you tell PoCo, "My payment to you will be 'adequate' or 'fair' or 'reasonable'."
You'll be reading by candle light in a New York minute.
Not at all sure what your point it.
You pay for what you use, not what you could potentially use.

Quote:
IMHO, the problem is that you are dug into your position and so you will lose face if you change it.
If you were easier on yourself, you'd set a more reasonable goal that is short of perfection. Something like, Diligently try not to make the same mistake more than once (once you know it's a mistake).
So then tell me what position this is. What am I so wrong about? I'm really not sure.
That the wind on the drop pulled it out?
That 240V has less VD than 120V?
????

Quote:
Did you notice how I shifted from analyzing circuits to analyzing you?
OH PLEASE! Don't flatter yourself.
You're more transparent that you think.

Old 11-05-2012, 02:52 PM  
Barrie
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Seeing as the OP got his problem solved, thread closed. Name:  thumbsup.gif
Views: 59
Size:  139 Bytes

Closed Thread