DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Electrical and Wiring > Can I change a 220 circuit into a 110 and how?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-27-2008, 06:15 AM  
kok328
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 102 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 61

pigtail 10AWG wires to the 6AWG feeder wires. The bigger the box, the better, just make sure it's weahter rated (type 3 NEMA).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2008, 12:26 PM  
Tazman

Hi all
Sorry for the confusion. The proper term is probably a service disconnect. The entire picture is> House main panel is feeding s subpanel that was added in my garage. That sub has the 50A svc that feeds the svc disconnect at the spa and in that box is 30A and a 20A breaker. the svc disc will go with the spa. I have not opened it up to see what wires are really in there so I was making assumptions. Guess I need to open it up and see what's really there and proceed accordingly
thx
Randy

Old 04-28-2008, 03:45 PM  
kok328
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 102 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 61

I'm aware of fused and non-fused safety switches (disconnects as they are commonly called) but, not sure what to call a box that has breakers in it and that is fed from a sub-panel.
I imagine that your feeding the hot tub via sealtight so it wouldn't be a big deal to unload the run and rerun 12AWG for a 20Amp, 120VAC outlet.
Let us know what you find and we can come up w/inexpensive options for powering the deck.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:35 PM  
triple D

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default I can almost guarantee....

There should be a neutral in the sub-panel. This sub panel also serves as your disconnect for your tub. Kind a killing two birds with one stone. If there is two hots a neutral and a ground, than proceed as I mentioned before would probably your best bet. Good luck again....

[COLOR="DarkGreen"][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]See my work-Check out my album. "Git 'Er Done":D [/FONT][/COLOR]

Old 05-15-2008, 03:49 PM  
Tazman

Hi all, Update on what I found. Opened panel by spa and under breaker cover was 2 hots a ground and a neutral. I've removed the panel as it went with the spa and color taped the neutral and grounds. So sounds like the original reply from Square Eye is what I need to do. Change 50A breaker in panel to a 120 V breaker and at the deck I'll get another small 4 slot panel to feed some plugs out back. If I put a double pole 20A in the main panel I am assuming one leg to each of the breaker halves for the 110 to each correct? then on the deck, the 2 hots would connect to two differnt points to energize the panel? I do much better with pix so if anyone is inclined to put a rough sketch together I can get a visual.
Thanks!
Randy

Old 05-15-2008, 04:00 PM  
Square Eye

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

The 2 hots are each 120 volts
You can share the neutral if you keep a double pole (240v) breaker in the main panel.
If you plan on using a sub-panel at the deck, you can keep the 50 amp breaker you have now in the main panel, then use 20 amp single pole breakers in the sub-panel. Then you'll have 4 110 volt circuits.

[URL="http://www.houserepairtalk.com/announcement.php?f=39&a=6"][size=3]The Ten Commandments of House Repair Talk[/size][/URL]

[URL="http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=289528&ck="]Square Eye's home page[/URL]

Old 05-18-2008, 09:17 AM  
JoeD
Contractor

Liked 92 Times on 77 Posts

If you are going to install a sub panel out back there is no need to switch the breaker from a 50 amp. If you are going to feed the new receptacles direct then you must change to a 20 amp breaker.

Quick Reply