DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Electrical and Wiring > Compressor Wiring

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2011, 07:19 PM  
Raindem

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigChuck View Post
Glad you got it figured out Raindem, I'm mostly here to learn, but I'd be calling an electrician for my own personal safety! haha
Most of the time I'd agree with you. When I bought a new hot water heater a while back I paid an electrician $150 to come out and hook it up. I literally looked over his shoulder the whole time and decided next time I had something like this I'd try it myself.

It turned out with the compressor that I could not use the appliance cord I bought. The wires were #6 & #8 and just wouldn't fit in the tiny compressor electrical box. So instead I removed the outlet and direct wired it using #10 armored cable. I covered the box opening with a solid cover plate that the armored cable attached to. Then I replaced the 50a breaker with a 30a. The whole installation looks very professional and it runs like a champ.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply