DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum

DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum (http://www.houserepairtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Electrical and Wiring (http://www.houserepairtalk.com/f9/)
-   -   do I have 220 and how can I tap it best? (http://www.houserepairtalk.com/f9/do-i-have-220-how-can-i-tap-best-16607/)

coachgeo 10-04-2013 08:29 PM

do I have 220 and how can I tap it best?
 
I am buying a home. Former owner says that in 2003 during a remodel they brought in 220v to the house. I have gotten a copy of Permit in 2003 that shows electrical but no detail. How can I tell if this 220v statement is an accurate statement?

If it is........ How can I tap out this and run to an RV plug outside? The RV I would hook up is 220v in which is then divided into two legs of 110v. One operates front of RV and the other the rear.

Keep in mind I'ld like to eventually run another 220v to a garage/barn for a welder. Maybe also wire it's outlets and lights like the RV; two legs of 110v

If there is good threads on this already please put the way. You can't search by 3 characters so a search for 220 does me no good

nealtw 10-04-2013 08:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The main breaker on top in this pic is a double breaker, that should indicate 240 volts. The real questions are, the number on the main breaker is the amps and if you have enough to run what you want to add, as well as whether there is room in the box for four more breakers.

coachgeo 10-04-2013 08:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here is my panel. top single breaker says 200 on the throw switch

Could one leg of the 220 be tied off?. the fellow was very adamant that they put in 220v even though the electrician kept telling him it was over kill...... he insisted on it anyway.

nealtw 10-04-2013 09:11 PM

No you have 5 double breakers which are likely stove, dryer, hot water and some other stuff all are 220. The over kill that was talked about was the 200 amps. Two breakers side by side gives you 220, if it was 110 every other spot would be blank.

coachgeo 10-04-2013 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nealtw (Post 92172)
No you have 5 double breakers which are likely stove, dryer, hot water and some other stuff all are 220. The over kill that was talked about was the 200 amps. Two breakers side by side gives you 220, if it was 110 every other spot would be blank.

ok....... so your saying it is 110 coming in with bukoodles of amperage?

The five are Range, Hot Water, Base Board Heat x 2.., Dryer

If that is the case then there enough amps there to double breaker to run a 220 leg out to the *RV? Garage? Both?

Several of the baseboard heaters that are on double breaker (220) I'll be eliminating . Maybe just keep the one in the kitchen and bathroom for pipe freeze protection and remove the bedroom and living room. Im installing a wood stove and also have 110v radiant heater to keep chill knocked off when Im not home.

I live in OH and it snows

RV would be lived in. Probably LP heating. Summer a Window AC. Stove top is small electric 110 I think.

nealtw 10-04-2013 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coachgeo (Post 92173)
ok....... so your saying it is 110 coming in with bukoodles of amperage?
.

220 volt with bukoodles of amperage.
Others here will know whether it will be enough for what you want, I think you should be fine but that's just my guess.

CallMeVilla 10-05-2013 01:14 AM

You have 200 AMPS ... you can draw this as 110VAC or double that up to get 220VAC. You didn't "add 220VAC" ... simple misunderstanding. For modern homes, 200AMPS is not overkill at all. My first house was 400AMPS ... don't ask.

While your panel has a lot of open bays, you need to check to see if you can wire a sub-panel for your welder. My guess is YES ... but I cannot read the pic clearly to see what you actually have happening.

You should run separate legs for 110VAC to your garage ... don't split the 220VAC line.

JoeD 10-05-2013 06:06 AM

Don't go mixing the amps with the volts.
You have 240 volts at 200 amps. Every panel installed in house in the last 40 years is 240 volts. I think they stopped installing 120 volt only panels in the 1950s or 60s.

coachgeo 10-05-2013 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeD (Post 92180)
Don't go mixing the amps with the volts.
You have 240 volts at 200 amps. Every panel installed in house in the last 40 years is 240 volts. I think they stopped installing 120 volt only panels in the 1950s or 60s.

This home was built in 1953. Appears to have been rewired and ton of other things in 2003 though.

coachgeo 10-05-2013 08:08 AM

Thanx but out of all the post thus far this one confuses me more than any of them. Can you reword please? Probably confusing cause of my ignorance. For example..... two breakers total somehow to 220 appliance....... but you say its not by adding 110v+110v. then last sentence says run two legs of 110v each........ but don't split a 220v. Well it had to get split somehwere orrr was it? btw The 220 welder plug would be in garage. The 220 for the RV would be outside by the RV.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CallMeVilla (Post 92177)
You have 200 AMPS ... you can draw this as 110VAC or double that up to get 220VAC. You didn't "add 220VAC" ... simple misunderstanding. For modern homes, 200AMPS is not overkill at all. My first house was 400AMPS ... don't ask.

While your panel has a lot of open bays, you need to check to see if you can wire a sub-panel for your welder. My guess is YES ... but I cannot read the pic clearly to see what you actually have happening.

You should run separate legs for 110VAC to your garage ... don't split the 220VAC line.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:27 AM.