DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Electrical and Wiring > do I have 220 and how can I tap it best?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2013, 08:17 AM  
kok328
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 71 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 50

Please don't take this the wrong way but, your questions indicate a lack of electrical knowledge and you would be better off (safety wise) to hire an electrician.

Old 10-05-2013, 08:31 AM  
coachgeo
Remodelling

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kok328 View Post
Please don't take this the wrong way but, your questions indicate a lack of electrical knowledge and you would be better off (safety wise) to hire an electrician.
Have no intention to NOT hire an electrician on my time lines. (RV arrives in Jan.) Just like to understand what is going on instead of blindly letting someone do some work.

If time lines were different..... since I have a brain that can still learn, I would doing it myself but only after batting it around in threads like this till adnausum finally brings me to a point that I understand fully to tackle the project. With much appreciation to those who helped educate me to that point!!!!

*RV is actually a log cabin. It is designed to be a Rental Unit in classy High Dollar RV parks. But since it is designed for an RV park it is set up to plug in just like an RV. RV's these days have 220v (50amp?) plugs and I was told 110 of the incoming 220 powers front of the rig and the second 110 the rear of the rig. Often done this way cause many RV's have one 110vAC unit in both front and rear.

Last edited by coachgeo; 10-05-2013 at 08:39 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2013, 11:35 AM  
JoeD

Liked 77 Times on 65 Posts

The power coming into your house is three wires. Two hot wires and one neutral wire.
From either hot wire to the neutral you will measure 120 volts. Because of the way the hot wires get their power if you measure between the two hots you get 240 volts.
For devices that need 120 volts you install a single breaker and get 120 volts between the output of the breaker and the neutral wire.
If you have a device that needs 240 volts(dryer, stove, water heater, etc.) you install a double breaker that give two hot outputs which measure 240 between them.

Old 10-05-2013, 11:40 AM  
coachgeo
Remodelling

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeD View Post
The power coming into your house is three wires. Two hot wires and one neutral wire.
From either hot wire to the neutral you will measure 120 volts. Because of the way the hot wires get their power if you measure between the two hots you get 240 volts.
For devices that need 120 volts you install a single breaker and get 120 volts between the output of the breaker and the neutral wire.
If you have a device that needs 240 volts(dryer, stove, water heater, etc.) you install a double breaker that give two hot outputs which measure 240 between them.
That fills in the missing link which was fuelling my brain farts. Makes ton more since now.

So is the odd numbers in the breaker box feed from one of the two hot powerlines and the evens the other thus allowing for connecting two neighbouring breakers together to once again have 220/240v to feed a device that requires that voltage?

Last edited by coachgeo; 10-05-2013 at 11:50 AM.

Old 10-05-2013, 11:52 AM  
nealtw

Liked 542 Times on 491 Posts
Likes Given: 1000

Now we have the brain farts out of the way, thanks to Joe. The other questions that should be asked are. How far from the house will the RV be parked? Will a 200 amp sevice be enough to do this?
If the RV will be parked permenitly should he use the plug or should it be hard wired and should it be underground? If the RV will become a rental, should it have it's own supply with a meter?

Old 10-05-2013, 11:58 AM  
coachgeo
Remodelling

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealtw View Post
Now we have the brain farts out of the way, thanks to Joe. The other questions that should be asked are. How far from the house will the RV be parked? Will a 200 amp sevice be enough to do this?
If the RV will be parked permenitly should he use the plug or should it be hard wired and should it be underground? If the RV will become a rental, should it have it's own supply with a meter?

Yep and getting those answers is convoluted. How far away is also dictated by sewer. separate power....... that is also dictated by TAXES. The more Install like it is a permanent thing direct wired and not "plugged in"........ the more my property taxes go up cause it becomes a fixed part of the property thus real property thus calculated into property taxes. The more I install it like an RV which is personal property ...... that can be moved....... then its not taxed as part of the "real property" but instead personal property falling under a separate tax code that is little cheaper??? if I understand things correctly.

I have an acre of property and not have yet decided location. So that being said...... information that would be helpfull would be...... "how far" away maximum from the breaker box at 200amp. I would assume it would have to be properly buried line even if it was just going to a 220plug box on a knee high pole.

Then again...... there is the future detached garage/barn with a future welder at 220v. (it would only get random use) How far can that be away from the box too? Course might be better off with a diesel powered welder??

Last edited by coachgeo; 10-05-2013 at 12:22 PM.

Old 10-05-2013, 12:48 PM  
nealtw

I would think adding a barn will change the taxes so adding another meter there, taxes would not be a problem and then adding the RV plug to that, if you can't get it from the house.
Doubling the use of the septic system may be a bigger problem. It is likely sized for the one bedroom house and you already intend to have more than two people in the house.

Old 10-05-2013, 12:55 PM  
coachgeo
Remodelling

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
I would think adding a barn will change the taxes so adding another meter there, taxes would not be a problem and then adding the RV plug to that, if you can't get it from the house.
Doubling the use of the septic system may be a bigger problem. It is likely sized for the one bedroom house and you already intend to have more than two people in the house.
Barn is probably 4 to 5 years away. Cabin/RV is January 2014. I HAVE to move it from where it sits in TX by Jan. 1.

Septic was redone also and I was told it was also oversized for future growth. I believe code requires all new sceptics installed to meet the standard of a "single FAMILY home" anyway. That is an issue I ran into in TX.

Doubling is not a good example..... its more like like adding a SMALL 3/4 bathroom to a house. The kitchen sink is tiny too. NOT a double sink..... just one tiny one like in an RV. Cabin/RV living space is only 12x16 in size so it is more like a one person Microhome.

More than one in the house........ nah. Would be nice but it will probably be just me with an occasional guest.

Last edited by coachgeo; 10-05-2013 at 01:05 PM.

Old 10-05-2013, 01:03 PM  
nealtw

So the question comes down to will 200 amps be enough and how close to the house should it be. Does the RV use electic heat? I am sure there is a formula to work out usage, I just don't know what it is.

Old 10-05-2013, 04:45 PM  
coachgeo
Remodelling

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
So the question comes down to will 200 amps be enough and how close to the house should it be. Does the RV use electic heat? I am sure there is a formula to work out usage, I just don't know what it is.
Have not decided on heat for the RV/Cabin. There is nothing installed for heating yet. Window AC unit for cooling. 4" thick solid logs gives it a damn good R-factor insulation which helps both. If I was living in there; it would get an outdoor Wood heat- indoor (underfloor?) radiator system but since it will be used as a rental till Im old.... I suspect I will put in a gas wall heater or a fuax fire place gas heater.

Reason I say till Im old........ this whole layout is a 30+ years plan. 30+?yrs from now I switch out of the house and into the cabin/RV. This is assuming Im still unfortunately single, thus living as a dirty old man. Odds point that way. I would then trade room/board and/or inheriting the whole property upon my demise, to nursing/medical student with a small family living in the house in exchange for being my care provider.

After loosing everything in this last economic crunch thus living homeless last three years..... I know finances will never build up enough for any other long term care solution for myself except a Kevorkian plan which sits as a realistic plan B.

Last edited by coachgeo; 10-05-2013 at 04:53 PM.

Quick Reply