DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Electrical and Wiring > Does a 240v dryer plug need to be GFCI?




Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-28-2014, 01:58 PM  
speedy petey
Lic.Electrical Contractor
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 444
Liked 39 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuzzat? View Post
Having dry skin when contacting residential voltages can save your life. Not so above 600v.
That goes without saying. Then again it does not really apply to a site called houserepairtalk.com.


__________________
speedy petey is offline  
 
Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2014, 03:36 PM  
Wuzzat?
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,328
Liked 167 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy petey View Post
Because it is highly unlikely that you'll pick up your dryer and drop it in the sink.
Straw man argument, minus 10 points!

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy petey View Post
The whole water vs. electricity thing while not a myth, is over-hyped.
Facts cancel out hype.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy petey View Post
That goes without saying.
In your case it seems to need saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy petey View Post
it does not really apply to a site called houserepairtalk.com.
Having information is a dominant strategy, as is carrying a weapon. You have it if you need it but you don't have to use it.

"strategic dominance occurs when one strategy is better than another strategy for one player, no matter how that player's opponents may play."

In this case the 'opponent' may be a non-functioning appliance. For the >600v cases, electronic air cleaners and CRT TVs come to mind.

And knowing this info doesn't do any harm. Not always so with genetic testing info.

My regards to Jim Port. I don't think his problems are genetic!

Loosen up, SP. . . sooner or later you will catch me making a real error -
and picking nits will probably blind you to that error when it does occur.


__________________

Last edited by Wuzzat?; 07-28-2014 at 04:01 PM.
Wuzzat? is offline  
zannej Likes This 
Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2014, 04:41 PM  
speedy petey
Lic.Electrical Contractor
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 444
Liked 39 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuzzat? View Post
Straw man argument, minus 10 points!


Facts cancel out hype.


In your case it seems to need saying.



Having information is a dominant strategy, as is carrying a weapon. You have it if you need it but you don't have to use it.

"strategic dominance occurs when one strategy is better than another strategy for one player, no matter how that player's opponents may play."

In this case the 'opponent' may be a non-functioning appliance. For the >600v cases, electronic air cleaners and CRT TVs come to mind.

And knowing this info doesn't do any harm. Not always so with genetic testing info.

My regards to Jim Port. I don't think his problems are genetic!

Loosen up, SP. . . sooner or later you will catch me making a real error -
and picking nits will probably blind you to that error when it does occur.
You are one strange a$$ dude, you know that?
__________________
speedy petey is offline  
nealtw Likes This 
Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2014, 04:44 PM  
slownsteady
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png
 
slownsteady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Newton, NJ
Posts: 992
Liked 139 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 174

Default

every family has one....or more

__________________
slownsteady is offline  
2
People Like This 
Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2014, 10:48 AM  
Wuzzat?
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,328
Liked 167 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy petey View Post
You are one strange a$$ dude, you know that?
http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=%22strange+***+dude% 22&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
97,000 hits ain't bad.

Officially, I'm 'eccentric'. And droll.


__________________

Last edited by Wuzzat?; 07-29-2014 at 10:51 AM.
Wuzzat? is offline  
 
Quick reply to this message
Closed Thread


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter DIY Home Repair Forum Replies Last Post
GFCI outlets vs GFCI breakers Dzarate29 Electrical and Wiring 6 11-01-2013 11:32 AM
240V outlet to 120V, adapter? Finesse117 Electrical and Wiring 1 09-26-2012 02:02 PM
single vs double pole for 240v kentannenbaum Electrical and Wiring 2 12-21-2010 04:52 AM
2 Blacks on 240V? RedGuy Electrical and Wiring 2 11-26-2010 06:52 PM
240v to 120v converision justaquickquestion Electrical and Wiring 2 03-14-2007 03:09 PM