I have recently bought my first older home, which has only 100 amp electrical service. As I plan my remodeling, one of the first projects is the kitchen. I am debating whether I should replace the electric range in the house with a gas one. The house has central a/c, two refrigerators, a microwave, and an electric dryer, but has gas a hot water heater and furnace.
The former owner said he never had a problem with circuit breakers tripping, but I am concerned that 100 amp service is rather skimpy with a modern electric range that has five cooktop elements and a self-cleaning oven, when added to the other major electrical appliances in the house.
Opinions? I would prefer not to upgrade the electrical service unless absolutely necessary.