DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Electrical and Wiring > Federal Breaker Box

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-13-2006, 06:08 PM  
TxBuilder
HRT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Federal Breaker Box

A house I am in the process of buying has a '60s Federal box. How unsafe is this box?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2006, 06:45 PM  
petey_racer
Licensed Electrician

http://www.inspect-ny.com/fpe/fpepanel.htm

Please post back and let us know how it turns out....

Old 11-13-2006, 09:32 PM  
Square Eye

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

better have a replacement panel in the budget..

[URL="http://www.houserepairtalk.com/announcement.php?f=39&a=6"][size=3]The Ten Commandments of House Repair Talk[/size][/URL]

[URL="http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=289528&ck="]Square Eye's home page[/URL]

Old 11-15-2006, 11:50 AM  
K2eoj

I've always had FP panels replaced on my rental properties. For some reason I still have one on my own house. I've had numerous experiences with the breakers not tripping and on my particular model the cover can be easily , accidently, be placed on where the cover is holding and locking one side of the breakers in the "on" position.

Thanks for the link Petey.

I've heard rumors about a rebuild kit for FP. My panel is all pipe and there is no room to set another along side. Seems to me that manufacturing a retro fit and using the old box would not be to difficult. I havn't found anything yet.

I just read Pete's link and found a Cutler-Hammer Eaton retro kit. Thanks.

Got a number for Eaton Flex center and they say they make custom retro fits for residential load centers. They have some standard kits but it looks like I'll need custom.
Ballpark for my custom was about $400 +breakers. Seems pretty reasonable to me. The number at Eaton is 800-330-6479. I spoke with Steve. To order you'll have to go through a C-H distributor but your distributor might not be aware that this is available. You'll need the 3 box dimensions, number of breakers, etc. to get a ballpark. I'm excited about getting rid of my FP's at a reasonable price.

Last edited by K2eoj; 11-15-2006 at 01:12 PM.

Quick Reply