||02-28-2011 05:54 PM
Feed to Separate Building
I'm sure this can't be right, but I've discovered that the feed to my detached garage comes from a 220v 50amp breaker in the main panel in the house. The current is carried by a 10-3 NM cable across the 33 feet to the garage and terminates at an old fuse box in the garage. This box contains 3 of those tubular black fuses and the entire garage is fed directly from this box.
Am I off the mark or is the 10-3 wiring woefully inadequate to carry anything near 50 amps? In other words, wouldn't the wiring fail before the breaker would ever trip? I haven't had any problems of any kind to date, but I'd like to avoid them in the future as well. I'm thinking that an upgrade of feed wiring, a breaker box install, and some garage interior re-wiring is in order.
Any thoughts appreciated!