DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Electrical and Wiring > Found Strange Wiring in Junction Box

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2012, 07:28 AM  
gso

okay...I was hoping to do this the best way possible, but I'm now considering a new option.

The attic has a light fixture with a pull-chain switch on it. Do you think I can simply tie the attic fan to that? Or would it be better to run a junction along the line to the light fixture?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2012, 07:52 AM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 838 Times on 749 Posts
Likes Given: 1453

Depending on what else is on the same cercuit, that could work, I would wire a switch in close to that box so you could turn the fan off from that location. You should get that tester and check out the first box.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:01 AM  
gso

I wasn't planning on putting a switch on the fan. Do you suggest a switch, even though it turns on/off from the thermostat and cuts off if the motor overheats?

Old 05-08-2012, 05:14 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

And if you want to work on it or clean it, you would have to turn off the breaker and have no light in the attic.

Old 05-08-2012, 07:32 PM  
gso

You've convinced me to get a switch. I just ran the wiring directly to the light fixture, with a switch along the way. It works great. The light fixture isn't my favorite option, but everything is capped and snug in their boxes, and I didn't have to guess what the heck is going on in that junction box. I might change it when I become more familiar with the hodgepodge wiring in this house, but for now I'm happy with my first venture in electrical.

Thanks for your help!

Old 05-08-2012, 08:34 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

You do need to figure out if anything is live in the other box. It may be nothing but if it is live it may be a hazard, and sometimes things are not better to leave well enough alone.

Quick Reply