DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Electrical and Wiring > Garage gfi or not.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-16-2011, 06:32 AM  
sailor86

Default Garage gfi or not.

Somebody I know wants to add a dedicated outlet for a fridge in their garage. They would prefer it not be a GFI-protected outlet for fear that it may trip spurriously and ruin their food. So can I add a 20-amp non-GFI-protected outlet in their garage? I read somewhere that it's not necessary for any outlet that is not "readily-accessible"(defined as not needing a ladder to get to it), but that sounds a bit hokey to me. What's the bottom line?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2011, 06:53 AM  
kok328
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 94 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 60

I have learned from this site that the garage must have a gfi outlet however, as you mentioned, you don't want to trip the outlet when it involves a fridge.
Also, as I recall, the "readily accessible" clause went out the window as my thread specifically mentioned ceiling outlets for garage door openers and it was decided that even that outlet had to be gfi.
However, if it were me, I'd say screw the gfi when using it just for a fridge and this would be against code.

Old 01-16-2011, 07:49 AM  
sailor86

If I'm not mistaken, a homeowner can legally get away with doing work himself that does not need to be inspected. If I do the work for him, do I get the same leeway?

Old 01-16-2011, 03:22 PM  
kok328
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 94 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 60

No, there is no leeway.
A homeowner can do the work themselves but, that does not mean the homeowner is not bound by code, that's why inspections are necessary.
You have to realize that there is a potential for the garage floor to become wet unlike interior floors and that may present an issue. The code was established for safety reasons. Do you want to be the one to install an outlet that might shock your friend?
I would present them with the facts to educate them enough to make an informed decision and then guide them in doing their own installation if they decide against the gfi or install it as a gfi circuit and then let them change it after the fact.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:49 PM  
joecaption

Liked 37 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

A fridge, microwave, range hood fan, washing machine water pipe or water softner, do not get A GFI and by code there allowed not to be. All should be on there own circut.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:31 AM  
JoeD

Liked 86 Times on 72 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
A fridge, microwave, range hood fan, washing machine water pipe or water softner, do not get A GFI and by code there allowed not to be. All should be on there own circut.
I do not believe that applies to garages. ALL receptacles including the ones on the ceiling for the door opener are now required to be GFCI.

Quick Reply