DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Electrical and Wiring > GFCI 3 sets of wires

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-29-2012, 08:14 AM  
GuitarPlaya4JC

Yea, and I figured out that the second set of wires actually powers the dishwasher. I tried plugging just those in so we could run it and that worked...so now it seems that the only thing not working is the outlet on the other side of the wall that the remaining white/yellowish and black wire are connected to. Do I need to splice them with the dishwasher wires then hook them up?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2012, 01:04 PM  
kok328
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 104 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Yes.
Optionally, you could hook the dishwasher to the LINE side and the only the outlet to the LOAD side.

Old 01-29-2012, 02:20 PM  
GuitarPlaya4JC

I got the same results with the above suggestion...still no power in the outlet. Dishwasher and GFCI work fine, but the other outlet has nothing. What am I doing wrong?

Old 01-29-2012, 07:41 PM  
GuitarPlaya4JC

Do I need to splice something?

Old 01-30-2012, 07:27 AM  
kok328
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

I'd pull that outlet and see if there is something wrong with it. See if your connections at the outlet are burned up or maybe someone used the stab in holes and the wires came loose. Check the actual wires coming into the outlet for power.
If the dishwasher is hooked to the LOAD side, same as the outlet, then you should have power to both.

Old 01-30-2012, 11:19 AM  
GuitarPlaya4JC

Yea, the weird thing is that if I throw the old (non-GFCI) outlet back in the kitchen then everything works fine, but for some reason no matter how I wire this GFCI, it works and the dishwasher works but the other outlet just won't work anymore...I'm so lost.

Old 01-30-2012, 06:37 PM  
kok328
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Did you use a combination of lug screws AND stab in holes for the LOAD wiring?
Could be a bad GFCI right out of the box. If you utilize the pigtail method I described earlier and attach the pigtails to whatever LOAD connection you have used for the dishwasher, your problem should be solved.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:15 AM  
GuitarPlaya4JC

I haven't tried it on the screws yet. The GFCI unit I have has 4 holes on the line side and 4 holes on the load side. I've tried a bunch of different combinations of them with the wires. The holes used to make the dishwasher work don't work when the other outlet is plug in to those holes...doesn't make any sense. I'm starting to think that the other outlet is fried or something. I don't know what to do. I'm not sure what pigtails are exactly so I don't know how to go about that approach either.

Old 01-31-2012, 04:46 PM  
kok328
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

You mention that if you reinstall the old outlet the both the dishwasher and other outlet work fine including the outlet that you are replacing with a GFCI.
If you've hooked up the dishwasher and GFCI and it works fine AND removed the dishwasher and hooked up the outlet and GFCI and the outlet works but, the GFCI works then it must be the oulet.
However, why would this oulet work with the old non-GFCI and not work with the new GFCI?
I say hook your dishwasher and outlet to the LOAD side of the GFCI and the check for power to the oulet that is not working.
Pull that oultet out of the box and put a meter on the wires going into the outlet. It might be that you have power to the outlet but, not coming out of the outlet in which case you have a bad outlet. Why this oulet will work with the non-GFCI outlet is beyond me but, at this point you have yet to pull the outlet in question.
Electricity is highly predictable so I'd say you have something weird going on here that we are unable to determine without being there.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:28 PM  
GuitarPlaya4JC

Wow, turned out it was just one of the wires...What a waste of time!! Grrr well thank you for all your help...One of the wires was nearly busted, barely holding together so the connection wasn't being made. Anyway, all is well now..

Quick Reply