DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Electrical and Wiring > GFCI Question - Christmas Lights

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-28-2011, 02:53 PM  
wildjuanpablo

Default GFCI Question - Christmas Lights

Good afternoon!

First of all, let me explain the GFCI circuit in question. In my garage, I have a GFCI outlet, which is tied to the exterior outlet on my front porch. I recently had an electrician come in and tie a non-GFCI outlet to the GFCI outlet in my garage so I could have my outdoor refrigerator plugged into it and will stay on at all times.

Last night, I was in the process of putting Christmas lights out. I had 4 strands of C-9 lights (non-LED) plugged into the outlet on my front porch. With four strands (and my fridge), the GFCI pops. When I unplug one of the strands, it works fine and does not pop. I still have many more lights to plug in and this has never been an issue until after the fridge was tied into this circuit.

Is there anything I can do to help this? Would a new GFCI outlet in my garage help (maybe this one is wearing out)?

I am also toying around with the idea of adding a GFCI circuit to my circuit breaker panel and then installing a brand new GFCI outlet. That way, the only thing on this circuit would be Christmas lights.

Your opinions and advice are much appreciated!!

Thank you in advance!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2011, 03:21 PM  
kok328
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 92 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Outlets in a garage MUST be GFCI or GFCI protected. I assume the new outlet added by the electrician is GFCI protected from the existing GFCI outlet.
A dedicated circuit would not be a bad idea but, a GFCI outlet does not take the place or serve the same purpose of a circuit breaker.

Old 11-28-2011, 04:46 PM  
joecaption

Liked 37 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

It sounds like your thinking of having a GFI breaker (very expencive) and adding a new line running to just one GFI outlet. It will do 0 good to have 2 GFI's in line.
GFI's do not trip from an over loaded circut, they trip when there's a dead short or voltage leakage.
I'd have the fridge on a non GFI circut on it's own and just plug the lights into the GFI protected outlet.

Last edited by joecaption; 11-28-2011 at 08:04 PM.

Quick Reply