DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Electrical and Wiring > GFI Outlet / Seperate Light Switch - Light won't turn off!?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 11:31 AM  
Fireguy5674

Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I drew a diagragm but I cannot get my scanner to work. So I will try to describe what I drew. If your drawing is correct, as was pointed out, you have no neutral or ground to the lights so they should not work at all. The source wire coming in should be hooked to the line side of the GFI, Black wire on gold screw side and the white wire on the silver screw side. The bare wire goes to the Green screw. That will provide power to your GFI.
Now from the LOAD side of your GFI on the gold screw you will need to run a black wire to your plug in and to your light switch. A separate black wire should run from the other switch terminal to the light fixture to both black wires there. From the silver screw on the LOAD terminals you will need to run a white wire to the receptacle and to the light fixture which will attach to both white wires there. The bare neutral source wire should be attached to the green screws on both receptacles, the switch and a green ground screw or a green wire pigtail on the light fixture. In your wiring diagram you show the white wires in the fixture tied to each other but not to a source neutral and your bare grounds run from the switch to the light fixture but not to the source ground. By wiring everything off the Load side of the GFI everything in the bathroom will be GFI protected. If you do not want that move the power and neutral wires for the light to the LINE side of the GFI.
Looking at your picture I cannot tell where the two wires on the one terminal of the switch come from. If the wires got reversed and the wire to the light got put with the power source wire then the lights would not turn off although if your drawing is accurate then they should not light at all.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 11:55 AM  
Fireguy5674

Me again. I went back and read your husbands description again about six times. In answer to his first question, Yes the neutrals from both of the fixtures need to be tied to the source neutrals.
"The source load wire is split with one leg to the GFCI and one to the switch. The light fixture loads are bridged to a common single wire hooked to the top screw of the switch with the source load connected to the bottom screw." AS I read that there is a source wire hooked directly to the wire going to the lights. If they can find a ground source yes they will be on all the time.
Remove the source wire to the switch completely and tie the light neutrals to the LOAD neutral from the GFI. Your lights should work correctly and be GFI protected. Check your grounds to be sure everything is grounded.

Last edited by Fireguy5674; 02-06-2013 at 01:10 PM.

Old 02-06-2013, 04:09 PM  
kok328
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 95 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Unfortunately, we can't have the lights going off if/when the GFI trips. You will need to power the lights directly from the source and not through the GFI. The only thing I saw missing in the OP's diagram was a lack of neutral & ground to the light fixutres.

Old 02-06-2013, 04:09 PM  
Wuzzat?

Liked 150 Times on 137 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Wire your lights in parallel and wire this assembly in series with a working switch.
Put the two wires coming out of this series/parallel arrangement across the line side or the load side of the GFCI.
If you want to be kind to later workers color the wires appropriately.

For less drama, put a lamp across the open switch and make sure this makes all bulbs glow dimly. If you control two Xw incands, use a 2Xw for this test lamp. Don't do this with CFLs or LEDs.

If necessary and if there is a high school nearby get one of their science geeks to advise you, but don't let him/her actually work with, or touch, your wiring.

Last edited by Wuzzat?; 02-06-2013 at 04:16 PM.

Old 02-06-2013, 04:23 PM  
Fireguy5674

Quote:
Originally Posted by kok328 View Post
Unfortunately, we can't have the lights going off if/when the GFI trips. You will need to power the lights directly from the source and not through the GFI. The only thing I saw missing in the OP's diagram was a lack of neutral & ground to the light fixutres.
I may be wrong since I don't have a code book handy, but I thought anything that can be reached from the sink, ie possible ground or maybe water, had to be GFI protected including the light switch or light fixture. Or have I been doing it wrong for several years?

Old 02-06-2013, 05:00 PM  
nealtw

Liked 690 Times on 617 Posts
Likes Given: 1211

I would protect the light also, it's better to be alive in the dark. Both white and black from the source go to the line side of the gfi.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:04 AM  
Housedoctor57

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I guess they got it working and now don't need our ideas. I really hate it when nobody has the courtesy to come back with what was wrong or to say it works now......

Old 02-07-2013, 08:28 AM  
nealtw

Liked 690 Times on 617 Posts
Likes Given: 1211

Housedoctor: It may be a little early for that judgement, but evan if you are right, I try to immagine the discussion in that house.
Total frustration when what appears to be a simple job just will not come together. Sometimes the wife finding the answer on the internet will solve the problem but may do little to clear the air. Keeping us happy may be last thing on the to do list.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:14 AM  
cheri28

Likes Given: 1

Thanks all for your help. I think we are just going to hire an electrician - we're just at a loss (including following diagrams). He's tried so many different ways and that darn light won't shut off.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:03 AM  
cheri28

Likes Given: 1

(and I wasn't ignoring any of you - sorry you thought that).

Quick Reply