DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Electrical and Wiring > GFI Trouble

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-23-2009, 08:12 AM  
JohnPublic

I checked and double checked everything with my multimeter. I did have the line and load correct, had 120v incoming at both plugs, and 120v out on the GFCI load. I jiggled the line with the meter hooked up to the downstream plug and it did not waver. Out of ideas, I boxed up the GFCI and exchanged it for a new one. Problem solved.

I hooked up the new GFCI, installed both outlets into the wall, faceplated them, and turned on the power. The GFCI reset correctly and both outlets have power. I have no idea how a brand new outlet can suddenly quit supplying power to it's receptacles, but that appears to be what happened. If either outlet acts up in the very near future I will be back.

Thank you to everyone who responded. This is a fantastic forum and a great resource to this new homeowner. I have plenty of projects on my honey-do list and I will certainly be back with another brain buster.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2009, 10:34 AM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

Hello John:
You are welcome back any time. We are all happy to help!
Glenn

Old 02-23-2009, 05:05 PM  
kok328
Supporting Member

Liked 71 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 50

"If you have power at the LINE & LOAD lugs & the green light is on but, no power out the front of the outlet, then you have a bad GFI or a new GFI that just went bad. It happens. "
This one wasn't really a brainbuster, your gonna have to try harder than that

Quick Reply