DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum

DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum (
-   Electrical and Wiring (
-   -   grounding (

trigg 12-02-2012 01:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have a GEC ground going to the copper pipe at entrance of home (4ft from where pipe enters) and then AFTER the ground on the same pipe is a pressure regulator then it goes to water heater.Do i need a jumper where regulator is even though it is AFTER the grounding connection an 15 ft from entrance? here is a rough drawing

Wuzzat? 12-02-2012 03:00 PM

Is there electrical continuity between the water heater inlet pipe and the water pipe as it enters your house? You can use an extension cord as a test lead for your meter.

JoeD 12-02-2012 03:32 PM

If the water line coming into the house is metal then you need the jumper.

itiswhatitis1 12-02-2012 04:32 PM

Only if you have a meter in the house. That must be jump from one side to other side. As long you have copper or gal water lines in the hole house. You be fine but if you but CPVC or pex in then you must up that spot because the ground was broken.

trigg 12-02-2012 05:32 PM

Thanks for the info.It is all copper and meter is outside home .There are shark fittings at regulator (not sure yet if that is a factor since its got plastic inside).I will check w meter. tommorrow. which way does it (GEC) travel once it hits the pipe ,toward earth or regulator or both?

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:15 AM.