DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Electrical and Wiring > Help with rewiring light fixtures to switches

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2013, 12:04 PM  
BSB74

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I appreciate the posts guys. Will have another look tonight when I get home and see about access and if power source can be strung to light switch instead of the light fixture. Keep you all posted soon. Again, much appreciated for advice.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:15 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 844 Times on 754 Posts
Likes Given: 1463

Bud: I never would have thought of it but a pull string does sound like a good option and as the power goes to B first, A could be rewired to be live with out the switch. For a storage room he could also just run a protected exposed wire to a new switch from light A

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2013, 12:36 PM  
bud16415
Fixer Upper

Liked 352 Times on 282 Posts
Likes Given: 115

Yep if it’s just a storage room he could use his switch he has now for the main light just as it is and bypass the switch and run the second light as always on and use a pull cord switch in the back room. The other method that I like for a room like that if finished is surface mount wiring. Looks a little better than running the wire on the wall and is a simple install for DIYer.

http://www.mlive.com/homeandgarden/index.ssf/2012/09/stan_harrison_15.html

http://hyderabadghar.com/homeneeds/electrical15.php

Last edited by bud16415; 06-04-2013 at 12:43 PM.
nealtw Likes This 
Old 06-04-2013, 12:47 PM  
bud16415
Fixer Upper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSB74 View Post
I appreciate the posts guys. Will have another look tonight when I get home and see about access and if power source can be strung to light switch instead of the light fixture. Keep you all posted soon. Again, much appreciated for advice.

BSB74

There is no reason to look at moving the source power to the switches. It is fine and actually better in your case it is coming to the light first.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:32 AM  
BSB74

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Ok guys I poked around a little last night. The power source is definitely to short to pull to switch box, from light fixture. There are two rooms that have finished ceilings between the panel box and the room I need to rewire. I guess the pull string could be a good option, but was really wanting to use two separate switches. That would be good news bud16415 if the setup is better with power source to light fixture. Just wish I could tie the light switches in switch box together, then run one separate cable back to other light, so they operate separately. I'll look further into the pull string option for one of the light fixtures that would barely be used. Not sure if it matters but the receptacle by the light switches will only be used for a plug-in CO detector. The other receptacle, further away, will only have a fridge plugged into it. I definitely will not be plugging the power saw in down their lol. Thanks fellas.

Old 06-05-2013, 07:22 AM  
bud16415
Fixer Upper

“Just wish I could tie the light switches in switch box together, then run one separate cable back to other light, so they operate separately.”

That’s exactly what you can do. In fact you can run the new cable back to ether of the two light boxes and make the light work in the other room. You have power to the first light (B) and a wire from there to the second light (A). If you can get a wire from LSA to ether (A) or (B) light you will have what you want.

I suggested a double switch if you don’t mind both switches where LSB is now. That way you won’t have to mount a box. The double switch will fit in a single box.

If you want the switch in the room with (A) then you have to mount a box for a new switch and run a “pair of wires” one cable from it to (A). If it’s a storage room and walls are finished and difficult to run a wire thru the wall and ceiling you can then do it with surface mounted switch box and wire track.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:47 AM  
nealtw
Contractor

And then there are remote controled light switches.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:34 AM  
bud16415
Fixer Upper

I thought about mentioning that but went low tech with the pull cord idea. I saw the other day something about you will be able to control your whole house from an iPhone. Even the doors will unlock when it sees it’s your phone standing outside. I’m not opposed to high tech but all that to turn a light on seems a little much. But then again compared to ripping up a wall I guess its cost effective. You still have to get into the wall and ceiling though to install it. They need one you just screw in the socket and screw the bulb into. Better yet build the chip into every bulb and do the iPhone thing.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:56 AM  
nealtw
Contractor

The day is coming, just like kings, we can can sit on the throne and control our little world.

Old 06-10-2013, 07:03 AM  
BSB74

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

OK guys, wife and kids gave me a couple hours Sunday to mess around with this. I ran a new wire from Light Fixture A back to Light Switch A. I kept the power source still entering into Light Fixture B. The dividing wall for the two rooms has the 3 gang box mounted their with the two separate light switches and one receptacle. Wired all back together, but now I have Light Fixture A on even though the switch is in the off position and Light Fixture B is off. I decided to switch some wiring were the the power source enters Light Fixture B, but ended up not working and popping the circuit at the panel when I turned on Light Switch B. Fun, Fun. Ran out of time so I just left the circuit turned off for now and have no lights now lol. I don't think I wiring it correctly at the light switch box. Will give it another go sometime this week I hope, pending the kids . Thanks all.

Quick Reply