I'm on my 2nd medium priced home entertainment center, the kind that comes in a box with the subwoofer, the surround speakers, and DVD player, as well as all the wiring. I've got all the wiring run carefully to avoid kinks, cuts beneath sharp edges, and so on. All the speakers are hooked up right. It's connected to the TV with the "S" cable. As with the 1st cheaper one I owned, when playing both CD's and DVD's, when we turn the volume up and there is an appreciable spike in the bass circuit, the sound cuts out completely. The subwoofer is not a separately powered subwoofer, but I'm lost as to why this happens. Anyone have an idea?