DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Electrical and Wiring > How to bend PVC faster ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2008, 11:42 PM  
Parrothead

Likes Given: 1

I've been known to use a propane torch, but it's touchy and I only do it outside. You need to be very careful, as it's easy to scorch it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2011, 03:18 PM  
adam_withrow
Bamboozlin Stumblebum

Default Faster for more, compound offsets and turns in one pass.

There is a new tool out there called a PVC Bendit. It's a heater that you stick inside of the pipe, and it allows you to work entire sticks of conduit like they're silly putty. After the pipe cools down, it is just the same as it was originally.

That means if you have to make multiple tight offsets, you can in a single operation. You can set a form that includes all of the bends you need at their precise sizes, heat the whole pipe up, lay it in the form, and it will have all of your bends at once. This is also great if you're working on curved walls.

Old 11-03-2011, 05:58 AM  
sailor86

Quote:
Originally Posted by triple D View Post
First of all I would never use open flame to heat pvc, especially indoors. This is not a good thing to burn, and it is a touchy practice, more like an art. If you over heat you make a weak, brittle area. There are no-heat pvc benders. A rep came to our supply house and did a demo with one. It looked kind of like a spring, and you just slide over the pipe and bend. I've only seen one for 1/2, 3/4 and 1". Anyway I'm with the others on the heat gun. It's all I've used for years and all I will. So I'm glad your all here, cause I'm not all there..........
Have you got a brand or model name? Sounds interesting. I've bent quite a few 1/2" pipes using my knee with fairly good results. But if there's an affordable alternative, I'd like to check it out.

Old 11-03-2011, 04:19 PM  
speedy petey
Lic.Electrical Contractor

Liked 26 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor86 View Post
Have you got a brand or model name? Sounds interesting. I've bent quite a few 1/2" pipes using my knee with fairly good results. But if there's an affordable alternative, I'd like to check it out.
You may want to e-mail him. His reply was from 2008 and he has not been back online here for almost a year.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:23 PM  
joecaption

Liked 37 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Just wondering, why would anyone even want to go through all the trouble to try and bend it when in less them 1 min. I can add an elbow.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:42 PM  
sailor86

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Just wondering, why would anyone even want to go through all the trouble to try and bend it when in less them 1 min. I can add an elbow.
I found offsets to be a nice touch. But I think you can even buy those at your Home Depot nowadays.

Quick Reply