DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Electrical and Wiring > How hard is it to switch plugs?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-27-2007, 08:40 PM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

In the kitchen and dining room I would use 20a receptacles, those with in 6' of water source should be GFCI. GFCI for the outdoor receptacles and the bathroom too.
Then, the normal 15a receptacles (using #14 wire) would use standard 15 a equipment. All must have the 3 hole outlets and romex wire with a bare copper ground. Stab-Lok receptacles with the UL seal of approval are safe to use and much quicker to install.
For GFCI's, it is permissable to use one GFCI and pass through it to other receptacles in the area (Say, 1 for the baths and 2 for the kitchen). GFCI's are usually rated at 15a but will pass through at 20a. The receptacles that are rated 20a are to be wired up with 12-2 w/G and it doesn't hurt a bit to use the 12-2w/G for all your wiring. I bought a 1,000' roll of the #12 and use a 15a breaker on the standard receptacles. I also bought a box of 10 GFCI's, a box of 10 20a, and 2 boxes of 15a.
Clear as Mud? I'll be happy to try to help you sort it out, if you need it.
Glenn

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2007, 07:34 PM  
AndyD5
The Cable Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to AndyD5

one thing I didn't see anyone mention you know how some rooms you have one outlet that the bottom work and the top is seperated onto a switch that's because the tabs next to the screws is broken and there is actually two sets of wire coming to that one outlet it could be that in that one box you find green or bare wire for ground one white and either two black wires or a black an a red if it's a newer home built the "right" way I have years of experience with electrical work of all sorts and those little things seam to be what people don't know and then they stick there fingers in there after putting one of those test lights in the outlet an think it is off and touch the screws and zap themself. FYI GFI means Ground Fault Interupt it's those mini curcuit breaker buttons on the outlet itself that say test reset or you may have one in the circuit panel itself with a red switch and an extra white coiled ground wire when you look inside the panel. if you get so bold as to not trust turning off the circuits and want to open the inner cover of the panel beware the fater the wire the more amperage which means how much faster it cooks your hamburger. most houses are supplied with 200 Amps these days even older houses usually get upgraded to 200 Amps and just as Glenn I would be happy to help with any questions I have a library of knowledge on the subject, and yes I have been shocked before

-Andy the cable guy

I love to work on my house would love to help you with yours!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply