DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Electrical and Wiring > Infrared for detecting electrical problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-14-2006, 02:18 PM  
stollison

Default Infrared for detecting electrical problems

I am new to the board, just joined. Has anyone here heard of a technique for detecting overheated circuits and other electrical problems using an infrared camera? I recently moved into a new house and received a direct mailed postcard from HomeSafe Inspection saying they perform annual home inspections using infrared to find invisible problems. This is interesting. Any thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2006, 02:33 PM  
CraigFL

Many years ago the service people where I worked would come around and shoot the electrical boxes with the infrared temp gun to see if anything was overheated. They also use this technique and the camera to deduce where heat is leaking out of your house in cold climates. I'm not sure things like this are common although they become major problems when they occur.

Old 06-14-2006, 02:35 PM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 94 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 189

Default Yea..

First things first...welcome aboard our rant and rave...pull up a chair.
We do infrared camera imaging also...you probably don't need this done unless you have some problems with tripping or hot outlets. Your touch senses will tell you if something is warranted for a thermal image scan.DO not put your hand in the panel box, just touch the breakers at the switch.
Thermal imaging is really good at detecting leaks in roofs and flashing. Also good for an energy audit. Missing insulation,leaky drafty windows...that sort of thing.

Just curious how much they charge and what is included? If it's not to expensive it does save you money in the long term. Just ask me ,I did my own house and found a bunch of stuff...and I'm an inspector.

Just My
Made in the

Quick Reply