DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Electrical and Wiring > Kitchen Can Lights, How Many?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-21-2011, 04:04 AM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 414 Times on 346 Posts
Likes Given: 134

Good job! We like updates and pics.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2011, 07:53 PM  
thomask

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Thanks OLDOG/NEWTRICK

This thread started out as a electrical question and has progressed as most projects do to include more kitchen pics for you all out there.

With all this work you sure want to have good lighting.

New counter for wet bar, fancy equipment to match seams, remove 24 year old slide in range, built new sink base, new white beadboard for front of stove base.

Has anyone out there installed new hard tile over old tile?

Looking for motivation.... need to to get her done

july-kitchen-004.jpg   july-kitchen-001.jpg   july2011-002.jpg   july2011-163.jpg   july2011-173.jpg  

Wife: "You can buy anything you want when you redo this house."

Husband: "Could I get that in writing, dear?"

Last edited by thomask; 11-21-2011 at 08:03 PM.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:13 PM  
thomask

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default Update

Just finished (kinda) the snack bar front bead board and cabinet trim, built shelves for wine bottles and glasses in wet bar. Just last night installed two hanging lights over the stove with help from my good friend. Used stove to get centered for placement. Had to get in attic and move feeder wire for lights. This was much easier as a two man job.

Next planned is undercounter lights and then remove old track lights for new cans. Bought a hole saw for drill and it is one tool you need to respect.

BTW I am still sore tonight, I should not be an attic worker at my age.

Would anyone like some pics? I will locate the camera...

Old 02-16-2012, 02:30 PM  
thomask

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default As promised pics

Here is the new beadboard bar front, wine shelves in wet bar area and the two new pendant lights over the stove. The white board really makes a difference from that old paneling and not real expensive. It does like to soak up the white paint though.

The two pendants do put out a neat glow and are not meant to be the main source of light. We bought the red shades as it was near the holdiays. Looking now for some green shades for St Patricks and Easter, Ha Ha.

Still thinking on the can lights. We saw a kitchen recently that seemed kinda dark with only four cans, thinking 5 or 6 presently space two feet apart and from sofffits. We can always add a dimmer if too much light but don't enjoy attic work at this age.

What are your thoughts on our remodel so far, any suggestions always welcome.

nov-2012-214.jpg   nov-2012-228.jpg   nov-2012-234.jpg   nov-2012-235.jpg  

Last edited by thomask; 02-16-2012 at 02:35 PM.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:32 PM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 414 Times on 346 Posts
Likes Given: 134

I think it turned out really well and I really like black counter tops like you installed. I'd suggest posting your pics in our photo gallery at the top of the forum page so others can see the results you achieved. Good job!

Old 02-17-2012, 12:27 PM  
thomask

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldog/newtrick View Post
I think it turned out really well and I really like black counter tops like you installed. I'd suggest posting your pics in our photo gallery at the top of the forum page so others can see the results you achieved. Good job!
Hey old dog/new trick,

Thanks for your kind reply. The granite is called Peacock Verda and is black with green accents. It really shines when the light hits it. Some time back we were in a Home Depot EXPO store and were talking with their designer who suggested this would be a good color to go with our medium oak cabinets. She was right IMO. The dark tops,, medium cabinets and white beadboard seem to all fit together with the new oak floors. Also need to determine a good backsplash now.

Any thoughts?

Old 03-26-2012, 11:57 PM  
CallMeVilla
Contractor

Liked 381 Times on 298 Posts
Likes Given: 154

Just finished a ceiling remodel that is similar to yours. There is a 7th light around the corner. All this is on a 20amp lighting circuit and 4-way switches. Under-cabinet lights come next using LED strips powered of an existing 15amp light circuit because they are low volt and draw close to nothing.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:14 AM  
thomask

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeVilla View Post
Just finished a ceiling remodel that is similar to yours. There is a 7th light around the corner. All this is on a 20amp lighting circuit and 4-way switches. Under-cabinet lights come next using LED strips powered of an existing 15amp light circuit because they are low volt and draw close to nothing.
Thanks for the post CallMeVilla:

Can you give me ceiling dimensions and some pictues. I need some ideas here, my "Supervisor" is getting anxious for work to get back in gear and I want to keep her happy (if you know what I mean ).

Also tell us about your 4 way switches.

Old 03-27-2012, 03:07 PM  
CallMeVilla
Contractor

Liked 381 Times on 298 Posts
Likes Given: 154

Hope I can upload the pics. Kitchen ceiling (recessed part) is about 11.5' x 6.5'. Don't have a good shot of the "before" on the ceiling. It was your typical 80's ceiling with two light boxes holding two 4' florescent light fixtures each, recessed into an over-built drywalled ceiling. We tore out the framing (which was not structural) and created a trey celing which still allowed for recessed lights. We sized/spaced the lights to over-wash. While we are at it, we ran low volt wiring to drop down under each cabinet for the LEDs. They all return to space inside the top of the leftmost cabinet by the sink -- a receptacle is mounted there for the LED transformer. A single pole switch controls the LED lights.

The recessed lights were a combination of old work and new to save cost, since we did not drop the entire ceiling. We had to relocate the HVAC vent slightly and relocate some wiring that was in the way. This required dropping part of the ceiling so I used new work cans there.

The 4-way switches were required because you can turn on the recessed lights from three switch locations. Explanations on how to wire 4-way switches are available on line -- too hard to explain here.

Finish surface was skip trowel to match rest of house. No, it wasn't just sloppy mudding on my part!

If the pics do not come through, shoot em an email and we will use that approach instead. (martnrules@aol.com)

Old 09-13-2012, 09:10 AM  
thomask

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

UPDATE

Still have not decided to cut holes in the kitchen ceiling but have made progress. Just recently installed undercounter light pucks on their own switch and outlet.

Added a duplex outlet inside an upper cabinet and used a spare switch that was never used for a disposer. Installed the lights under the cabinets and they do add a nice downlight on the new counter tops.

Has anyone ever done any toe kick lights in their kitchen with rope lights?

CallMeVilla, what do you think? Can you post one picture of your ceiling here please.

Have I gone too far?

carlisle-pa-august-2012-028.jpg   carlisle-pa-august-2012-023.jpg  

Last edited by thomask; 09-13-2012 at 09:17 AM.

Quick Reply