DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum

DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum (http://www.houserepairtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Electrical and Wiring (http://www.houserepairtalk.com/f9/)
-   -   LIttle electrical dilemma (http://www.houserepairtalk.com/f9/little-electrical-dilemma-5740/)

dakuda 12-18-2008 05:27 PM

LIttle electrical dilemma
 
Yesterday a switch of mine fried. The plastic melted, and I lost power to the switched outlet. No big deal, I thought.

I switched out the switch and now when I turn it on, the breaker pops. I cut the wire back past the burn on the insulation and exposed new copper to connect to the switch. The wires went to the exact same spots on the new switch. What am I missing?

The house was built in the 50's, and this part of the house still has the existing wiring from when I bought it.

travelover 12-18-2008 06:02 PM

You have may have a short circuit. Check the outlet box that the switch controls. You may find insulation peeled off and a short in the box .


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:52 AM.