DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Electrical and Wiring > Moving 220v Appliance Cable?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-24-2013, 08:35 AM  
CallMeVilla
Contractor

Liked 381 Times on 298 Posts
Likes Given: 154

I understand your frustration Wuzzat ... but the decision is binary if the Inspector is involved: "Follow the code or no check off."

If the Inspector is not involved and your license is on the line, what do you choose to do? If you are the homeowner in a DIY situation, can you decide to do what is cost effective, safe and NOT in strict compliance? Well, that is the question ....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2013, 09:56 AM  
Wuzzat?
Banned

Liked 167 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 94

This discussion has clarified this issue for me somewhat.
If a splice is OK in many situations it seems a contradiction to not allow it in this cable lengthening scenario. Orwell might call this "doublethink."

Yes, licensed tradespeople have to follow the code. Their job is held hostage.

I e-mailed Ideal Industries with questions about the contact resistance and reliability of their Wirenuts. We'll see what happens.

If you had a current carrying cable with no splices, one splices or up to X number of splices, at what value of X would you be able to detect that there even was one splice? This is a basement project for me after Christmas.

This brings up a testing issue for the DIYer. By measuring the voltage drop along the cable and the current drawn and comparing this V/I resistance value to the AWG table, he or she can measure the integrity of the splices as often as wanted.

Old 12-24-2013, 10:42 AM  
CallMeVilla
Contractor

Liked 381 Times on 298 Posts
Likes Given: 154

This also raises craftsmanship issues. Some sloppy work in splicing would have wires stuck into a wire nut, which is then twisted.

Proper procedure means twisting the conductors with a pair of lineman pliers to get a tight twist, then trimmed, before inseting into the wire nut. The nut is further twisted, then taped.

The first example might result in a much different reading from the second example, yes?

wire.jpg  

Old 12-24-2013, 01:12 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 803 Times on 716 Posts
Likes Given: 1367

It's not if the cable and splice will do the job, it is that the cable is no longer up to code, which is fine untill you work on it. Even a homeowner can run into problems with this when selling a house, if the buyer knows when the kitchen was updated and the home inspector catches it.

Old 12-24-2013, 09:08 PM  
JoeD
Contractor

Liked 100 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 2

This thread is going off topic.
Twisting wire is NOT required when applying wire nuts.

Old 12-25-2013, 12:12 PM  
Wuzzat?
Banned

With more than two wires I've found that middle wires may not be clamped against the others properly. They remain straight.

In this situation I usually twist with pliers and then trim the ends to equal length.

Speaking of craftsmanship, a basement room job done by amateurs had a half volt extra voltage for the 20' or 30' length of #12 when I was pulling 10A through that branch and the tenant was complaining about flickering lights.
It was a wirenut with three wires with the center wire barely holding and straight.
A half volt at 10A is 5w, quite a bit of power to be dissipated in something as small as a wirenut.

The guy also had a three way switch arrangement and I insisted on testing all four combinations before they put the drop ceiling in place. Sure enough, it was only partially working.

There still may be some problems lurking in that place.

In some counties you can take an exam and then wire your own house to Code so you will save the labor cost.

And there are probably connectors way more reliable than Wirenuts that don't depend so much on operator skill, but maybe less convenient to work with.

Old 12-27-2013, 02:31 PM  
savatreatabvr

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuzzat? View Post
With more than two wires I've found that middle wires may not be clamped against the others properly. They remain straight.

In this situation I usually twist with pliers and then trim the ends to equal length.

Speaking of craftsmanship, a basement room job done by amateurs had a half volt extra voltage for the 20' or 30' length of #12 when I was pulling 10A through that branch and the tenant was complaining about flickering lights.
It was a wirenut with three wires with the center wire barely holding and straight.
A half volt at 10A is 5w, quite a bit of power to be dissipated in something as small as a wirenut.

The guy also had a three way switch arrangement and I insisted on testing all four combinations before they put the drop ceiling in place. Sure enough, it was only partially working.

There still may be some problems lurking in that place.

In some counties you can take an exam and then wire your own house to Code so you will save the labor cost.

And there are probably connectors way more reliable than Wirenuts that don't depend so much on operator skill, but maybe less convenient to work with.
If there are orange, yellow, red and blue wire nuts then what's connectors are used for larger gauge wire?

Old 12-27-2013, 04:02 PM  
Wuzzat?
Banned

http://www.idealindustries.com/prodDetail.do?prodId=wire-nut&div=0&l1=twist-on&l2=wire-nut
and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_wire_gauge

There's another thing about extending cable lengths.
Let's say you have two wirenuts for each outlet in your house. By adding four more to your house total, how much is the safety of your house compromised?

Split bolt connectors (insulated?) are probably superior in terms of initial safety and safety over their lifetime.

Old 12-27-2013, 05:32 PM  
savatreatabvr

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuzzat? View Post
http://www.idealindustries.com/prodDetail.do?prodId=wire-nut&div=0&l1=twist-on&l2=wire-nut
and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_wire_gauge

There's another thing about extending cable lengths.
Let's say you have two wirenuts for each outlet in your house. By adding four more to your house total, how much is the safety of your house compromised?

Split bolt connectors (insulated?) are probably superior in terms of initial safety and safety over their lifetime.
Thank you for the links although I don't trust "wikipedia.org" much do to the fact that anyone can edit the contents.

Old 12-29-2013, 10:03 AM  
Wuzzat?
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by savatreatabvr View Post
Thank you for the links although I don't trust "wikipedia.org" much do to the fact that anyone can edit the contents.
http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=%22credibility+of+wikipedia%22&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Quick Reply