DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum

DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum (http://www.houserepairtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Electrical and Wiring (http://www.houserepairtalk.com/f9/)
-   -   Need to extend 220v Wire for my Electric Stove Temporarily URGENT (http://www.houserepairtalk.com/f9/need-extend-220v-wire-my-electric-stove-temporarily-urgent-17244/)

better2014 01-21-2014 02:36 PM

Need to extend 220v Wire for my Electric Stove Temporarily URGENT
 
Hello Folks,

I hope you can give me ideas on the following please.

I have to move out of my place by the end of the month and need to clean my GE Electric Oven BUT unfortunately I made a horrible mistake by cleaning it with a degreaser that was incredibly toxic. Now the oven can't be used at all because the fumes that come out from the oven when on are toxic. I have tried cleaning with water to remove the chemical but it still lingers.

So, I want to try a self cleaning cycle so that the oven burns it out completely, but can't do that inside my house since it will leak the fumes that are toxic.

My garage door is just 12 feet from the 220v power outlet the stove is plugged to and my cable is just 6 feet long.

Any ideas on how I could extend this power cord to 12 feet so i can do a self cleaning cycle in the garage? I know this cycle will use a lot of power so I want to be careful with this.

The power outlet is a 3 prong connector and the cable installed in the stove is a 3 wire 3 prong 50amps 220 cable.

Maybe you have another solution to cleaning this oven, but this is what I am trying as of now..

Can't find a 3 wire extension anywhere, only a four wire Stanley 31626 Appliance Pro 6 feet 250 volt heavy duty but I it doesn't have the prongs I need.. maybe I should buy the cable and cut it on each end and attaching a female and male connector and make my own.?

Thoughts please.. I don't want to buy another oven and obviously wouldn't leave a toxic oven in the house either.

Thanks a lot !


nealtw 01-21-2014 05:21 PM

You have two problems, it is against code to run an extention cord and the fire insurance people wouldn't like it, evan if you did it correctly. This would be the time to find a friendly electrician in the hood.
I would look at doing outside, You might look at renting a generator big enough to do the job.

beachguy005 01-21-2014 07:34 PM

I'm curious as to what you mean by "toxic fumes". What did you use as a cleaner?

You probably won't find a 3 wire cord as they are no longer legal by code. All are now 4 wire.

better2014 01-21-2014 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beachguy005 (Post 98950)
I'm curious as to what you mean by "toxic fumes". What did you use as a cleaner?

You probably won't find a 3 wire cord as they are no longer legal by code. All are now 4 wire.

I used a very strong degreaser I think it was for cars.. go figure.. and it was sprayed everywhere inside since it was a horrible mess. Now when you turn on the oven the chemical in the degreaser starts to evaporate and a small whiff gives you a headache. The thing is that I don't want that thing to impregnate the furniture or linger in the air since I have a small bird. Opening the windows with this weather of 25 degrees is not an option.. so I need to take this task to the garage at least.

Ideas are appreciated.

better2014 01-23-2014 11:02 PM

no ideas? where are the creative ones ? lol

nealtw 01-24-2014 12:18 AM

perhaps some hint about the chemical would help, like the brand name.

better2014 01-24-2014 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nealtw (Post 99088)
perhaps some hint about the chemical would help, like the brand name.

Purple power degreaser concentrate.

beachguy005 01-26-2014 05:53 AM

I would suggest that you call the manufacturer, speak to their technical dept., explain what you used their automotive degreaser on, and see if they have any ideas on the best way of removing all of it from the oven.
Once that's done, just clean the oven the normal way.
Be sure to use chemical resistant gloves and a good respirator.

kok328 01-26-2014 06:12 AM

If it were me, I'd drag the oven close to the breaker panel and wire in a short cord whip to power it (all assuming your breaker panel is close to the outside).

nealtw 01-27-2014 06:00 PM

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdfImages/78/78e356c0-ce18-4571-b5e5-aa835716f9c1.pdf

This is for this product, after reading this I would trash the oven.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:13 AM.