DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Electrical and Wiring > Need to extend 220v Wire for my Electric Stove Temporarily URGENT

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-21-2014, 02:36 PM  
better2014

Default Need to extend 220v Wire for my Electric Stove Temporarily URGENT

Hello Folks,

I hope you can give me ideas on the following please.

I have to move out of my place by the end of the month and need to clean my GE Electric Oven BUT unfortunately I made a horrible mistake by cleaning it with a degreaser that was incredibly toxic. Now the oven can't be used at all because the fumes that come out from the oven when on are toxic. I have tried cleaning with water to remove the chemical but it still lingers.

So, I want to try a self cleaning cycle so that the oven burns it out completely, but can't do that inside my house since it will leak the fumes that are toxic.

My garage door is just 12 feet from the 220v power outlet the stove is plugged to and my cable is just 6 feet long.

Any ideas on how I could extend this power cord to 12 feet so i can do a self cleaning cycle in the garage? I know this cycle will use a lot of power so I want to be careful with this.

The power outlet is a 3 prong connector and the cable installed in the stove is a 3 wire 3 prong 50amps 220 cable.

Maybe you have another solution to cleaning this oven, but this is what I am trying as of now..

Can't find a 3 wire extension anywhere, only a four wire Stanley 31626 Appliance Pro 6 feet 250 volt heavy duty but I it doesn't have the prongs I need.. maybe I should buy the cable and cut it on each end and attaching a female and male connector and make my own.?

Thoughts please.. I don't want to buy another oven and obviously wouldn't leave a toxic oven in the house either.

Thanks a lot !

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2014, 05:21 PM  
nealtw

Liked 684 Times on 612 Posts
Likes Given: 1209

You have two problems, it is against code to run an extention cord and the fire insurance people wouldn't like it, evan if you did it correctly. This would be the time to find a friendly electrician in the hood.
I would look at doing outside, You might look at renting a generator big enough to do the job.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:34 PM  
beachguy005

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts

I'm curious as to what you mean by "toxic fumes". What did you use as a cleaner?

You probably won't find a 3 wire cord as they are no longer legal by code. All are now 4 wire.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:27 PM  
better2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachguy005 View Post
I'm curious as to what you mean by "toxic fumes". What did you use as a cleaner?

You probably won't find a 3 wire cord as they are no longer legal by code. All are now 4 wire.
I used a very strong degreaser I think it was for cars.. go figure.. and it was sprayed everywhere inside since it was a horrible mess. Now when you turn on the oven the chemical in the degreaser starts to evaporate and a small whiff gives you a headache. The thing is that I don't want that thing to impregnate the furniture or linger in the air since I have a small bird. Opening the windows with this weather of 25 degrees is not an option.. so I need to take this task to the garage at least.

Ideas are appreciated.

Old 01-23-2014, 11:02 PM  
better2014

no ideas? where are the creative ones ? lol

Old 01-24-2014, 12:18 AM  
nealtw

perhaps some hint about the chemical would help, like the brand name.

Old 01-24-2014, 07:03 PM  
better2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealtw View Post
perhaps some hint about the chemical would help, like the brand name.
Purple power degreaser concentrate.

Old 01-26-2014, 05:53 AM  
beachguy005

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts

I would suggest that you call the manufacturer, speak to their technical dept., explain what you used their automotive degreaser on, and see if they have any ideas on the best way of removing all of it from the oven.
Once that's done, just clean the oven the normal way.
Be sure to use chemical resistant gloves and a good respirator.

Old 01-26-2014, 06:12 AM  
kok328
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 94 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 60

If it were me, I'd drag the oven close to the breaker panel and wire in a short cord whip to power it (all assuming your breaker panel is close to the outside).

Old 01-27-2014, 06:00 PM  
nealtw

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdfImages/78/78e356c0-ce18-4571-b5e5-aa835716f9c1.pdf

This is for this product, after reading this I would trash the oven.

Quick Reply