DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Electrical and Wiring > Need to extend 220v Wire for my Electric Stove Temporarily URGENT

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-27-2014, 06:13 PM  
better2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealtw View Post
http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdfImages/78/78e356c0-ce18-4571-b5e5-aa835716f9c1.pdf

This is for this product, after reading this I would trash the oven.
I read the safety data sheet and it is scary stuff there..!! that is why I was so concerned, but I can say that yesterday I was able to clean the oven and the product is probably gone since there a no more fumes.
I bought some 20 inch fans and pointed them at the oven and had all doors open. I then turned on the self cleaning feature and let it burn for 4hrs.
Fumes were a lot less than what I thought and stopped shortly after I started the cycle. The fumes were probably from the degreaser in the elements but after the extreme cleaning cycle I am sure it burnt it all out.

I will still clean with a water and do it one more time to make sure, but It looks like it is going to be ok.

The fans helped get the odor out and I was lucky the temps were in the 50s.

Anyways, thanks for the heads up./

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2014, 06:22 PM  
JoeD
Contractor

Liked 101 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
If the product is heated, vapors are acutely toxic if inhaled
I think trash the oven is correct.

Old 01-27-2014, 06:40 PM  
better2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeD View Post
I think trash the oven is correct.
the leftover degreaser was BURNT for 4 hrs and now the oven is clean and fine. Why would I discard it? Or do you know of any degreaser that can withstand 450 Fahrenheit temps without evaporating completely?

Old 01-28-2014, 12:12 AM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 813 Times on 726 Posts
Likes Given: 1400

You may be right in thinking that it might be safe, I think Joe and I will error on the side of safety. You didn't say how old the oven was but a good used one might have been a few hundred.
It's always interesting to go across industry lines to find products to do a special job, I hope this can be a lesson to all of us to read the labels and do more research.

Quick Reply