DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Electrical and Wiring > neutrals and grounds on same bar

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-24-2010, 01:35 PM  
HighDesertHomeOwner

Along with the subject:

I plan to tap into my Air conditioner circuit for power into my small 120 sq feet shed.

The AC unit uses a 50 amp breaker, whereas a 30 amp will be plenty according to the faceplate of the AC unit.

The AC is 240 volt with ground. I plan to use such a ground as the neutral of my 120V supply into my shed, (and one of the hot, the black one, of the 240 volt as the hot of my 120 V into the shed).

Any coment as to safety?

The neutral and the ground are on the same bar in the only breaker panel in my house.

Will Ground Fault Interrupt in the shed still work?

I will be using a 15 amp breaker for the shed. The actual power for the shed will be very low, just for lights and a small electric drill, perhaps.

This is for myself, if I ever sell or rent this house out I will disconnect the power into my shed.

Thanks

Last edited by HighDesertHomeOwner; 11-24-2010 at 01:42 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2010, 05:07 PM  
speedy petey
Lic.Electrical Contractor

Liked 39 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighDesertHomeOwner View Post

The AC is 240 volt with ground. I plan to use such a ground as the neutral of my 120V supply into my shed, (and one of the hot, the black one, of the 240 volt as the hot of my 120 V into the shed).

Any coment as to safety?
Yes....

NO! NO! NO!
DO NOT do this. A ground and a neutral are two very different things. The fact that they are on the same bar in the main panel means NOTHING!
You do not have a neutral in this circuit and you CANNOT pull 120v from it. PLEASE DO NOT even attempt it. NOTHING you do will make it safe or correct.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply