DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Electrical and Wiring > New outlet for Garage Door Opener

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2009, 12:54 PM  
kok328
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 104 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Would the "Appliance leakage currents permitted by today's product standards are far less than the operational threshold of a GFCI" statement, indicate that a capacitor start/run motor on an older garage door opener, would not cause enough current imbalance to trip the GFI?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2009, 05:33 PM  
JoeD
Contractor

Liked 99 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 2

It says ALL receptcles. That would include ceilings.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:25 PM  
GBR

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 9

"My garage is unfinished (no drywall) with no plans to finish it." ----- Sounds like it is a detached garage. If within 3' to property line, 1 hr. construction required... 302.1
If tied to the house (attached), a lot more requirements are stated per code. Be safe, G

Old 09-09-2009, 08:09 PM  
speedy petey
Lic.Electrical Contractor

Liked 39 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR View Post
"My garage is unfinished (no drywall) with no plans to finish it." ----- Sounds like it is a detached garage.
How so?

I am working on a new house right now that has an attached garage with sheetrock ONLY on the house wall.

Old 09-12-2009, 09:33 AM  
kok328
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

I was talking to an associate the other day and he said that there is a way around this.
I mentioned to him my concern about the capacitor causing an imbalance in the current and he agreed that this may trip the GFI outlet.
He informed me that if the garage door outlet on a dedicated or non-dedicated circuit was a single use outlet that it would not be required to be an GFI outlet as it would no longer be considered an accessible outlet. The other way around this was that if the outlet was a duplex and had two garage doors plugged in, it too would now be considered a non-accessible outlet. I know, it doesn't sound right but, he's had no problems passing inspections using this technique.

Old 09-12-2009, 11:10 AM  
speedy petey
Lic.Electrical Contractor

Liked 39 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by kok328 View Post
He informed me that if the garage door outlet on a dedicated or non-dedicated circuit was a single use outlet that it would not be required to be an GFI outlet as it would no longer be considered an accessible outlet. The other way around this was that if the outlet was a duplex and had two garage doors plugged in, it too would now be considered a non-accessible outlet. I know, it doesn't sound right but, he's had no problems passing inspections using this technique.
Under the 2008 NEC this is 100% INCORRECT. ALL 125v 15 & 20a receptacles MUST be GFI protected...REGARDLESS if they are accessible or not.

Sorry, this is the plain truth. Maybe your area is not under the 2008 NEC yet?

Old 09-12-2009, 03:01 PM  
kok328
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

No, I see your point of view and it is correct. This simple and plain english is intentional to avoid any confusion and/or loopholes. While some areas of the NEC can be interpreted in different ways, this one is clearly stated. I was just relaying what his experience has been regarding this subject.
I would imagine that anyone in the U.S. is under NEC (National EC).
I happened to notice that JoeD was from Ontario so I wasn't sure what his code says and whether NEC applies to Ontario.
Out of curiosity, I will use an extension cord and plug my door opener into a protected outlet to see what happens.

Last edited by kok328; 09-12-2009 at 03:15 PM.

Old 09-13-2009, 07:09 PM  
JoeD
Contractor

Liked 99 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I am from Ontario. NEC does not apply here. However I can quote some code issues from either area as required. In Ontario we do need the GFCI.
If your region is still on the 2005 NEC then you friend is correct. Under the 2008 NEC he is wrong.

Old 09-15-2009, 10:59 PM  
GBR

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Speedy petey: I was making the point you mentioned. He said NO DRYWALL - there has to be some on the (garage side) of house/garage wall and garage ceiling if it touches the house (is common) IRC 309.2 5/8" min. drywall on ceiling common to house. Otherwise, it is detached.... Some builders opt to drywall/fire tape the garage truss/rafters over the house/garage joint to save money and time instead of the garage ceiling. In your case the house may have been built before code was enforced-- pre'73, when I started framing.
Be safe, Gary

Quick Reply