DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Electrical and Wiring > New welder outlet wiring

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-20-2012, 10:27 PM  
Bubba Ray

No way I am going to void the 3 year warranty on a new welder by changing the plug called for by the maker.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2012, 10:17 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 840 Times on 751 Posts
Likes Given: 1456

How about asking Miller what they would have you do?

Old 01-23-2012, 12:55 PM  
alaskanengineer

Default Extension Cord/Adaptor

To avoid both undesirable scenarios, (and assuming the welder REALLY is 30A max (sometimes welders will have a high inrush current when using posi-start or other enhanced cold-start logic)) - what do folks think of him making an extension cord with whatever plug he needs on each end - that way he doesn't have to modify his welder and when he moves out, he takes his 30A to 50A extension cord with him and the next homeowner is left with a 30A plug and a 30A breaker - this seems to be the best of both worlds. Again, disclaimer, I ask WHY did Miller put a more expensive 50A plug on a machine if it "only draws" 30A. I suspect that will be the driving concern: as it is possible that under certain settings/conditions there is a greater inrush current....
+1 on contacting Miller about this issue - they will be able to help on multiple fronts.

Last edited by alaskanengineer; 01-23-2012 at 12:57 PM. Reason: minor grammar edit - - makes more sense now

Old 01-23-2012, 05:50 PM  
Bubba Ray

alaska, good ideas. I have not heard from Miller after two emails. The power numbers come from Millers specs. Why the strange plug I have no idea but it may come from the fact that this welder can work on 120 or 220 and has a plug for each.

Quick Reply