DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Electrical and Wiring > outlet question

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-16-2010, 10:38 PM  
casadeclarks

Thanks again, I was thinking about doing the outlets separate of the lighting and having each bedroom lighting on separate circuits incase something ever happened with the lighting I would still have outlets to plug in a lamp and also the other rooms would not be without lights. I just wasn't sure if that would be overkill.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2010, 07:37 AM  
JoeD
Contractor

Liked 102 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxcapacitor View Post
in CEC (canada) the max is 12 on one circuit if connected loads are unknown. If you know exactly what you are plugging in, you may exceed 12 as long as the connected load do not exceed 80% of the rating of breaker. I think 12 is a good rule of thumb.
If you have a receptacle you don't know what could plugged in. In order to excede the 12 limit all devices must be hardwired. Therefore the load is known. Typically the exception is only used for lighting circuits where the maximum rating of the fixture is a known value.

Old 02-17-2010, 02:36 PM  
Wuzzat?
Banned

Liked 167 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Supposedly installing more outlets reduces dependency on extension cords and so marginally improves safety.

But the risk is already down in the noise.
If the yearly insurance premium to replace your house is 1/1000 of the replacement cost, the chance of your house being destroyed each year from any cause is somewhat less than 1 in 1000.
Driving a vehicle is 40x more dangerous.

And how many houses don't meet the elec. code and still, somehow, have not burned down?

Old 02-26-2010, 05:43 AM  
breid1903

Default cas

on a new or rewire i normally hold it at six maybe eight. one rooms recps to each breaker. ceiling lights on separate breaker. that way when or if you blow breaker because your kids decide to have the band practice in one room, you have light to see to get to panel. also to be able to find the culprits. breid...........

Old 02-27-2010, 10:19 AM  
triple D

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default what???

I very rarely see a breaker trip, and when it does usually there is a construction reason, like a compressor plugged in a 15amp circuit. If the house has heat that will get used, meaning there wont be space heaters plugged in to multiple rooms, you should have two bedrooms to one breaker. wire everything in rooms to this breaker, lights, plugs, and smoke detector. Dont forget to put it on an arc fault breaker. Then you will have one room left to put on one breaker. Do this with the one room you think most likely to be used as a home office some day. This method is how I wire homes and I do do this all day every day, good luck, and dont be afraid to pick off a hall light and a bathroom light on that rooms power as well.

[COLOR="DarkGreen"][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]See my work-Check out my album. "Git 'Er Done":D [/FONT][/COLOR]

Old 02-27-2010, 10:38 AM  
Wuzzat?
Banned

Liked 167 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by triple D View Post
Dont forget to put it on an arc fault breaker.
Try to pick one that doesn't give you false alarms.
http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=afci+false+nuisance+patent&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Old 02-28-2010, 10:32 PM  
triple D

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default reliability

I have used siemens for 10 plus yrs. Never had a problem yet. They also are licensed as square d homeline replacement compatible. Good luck...

[COLOR="DarkGreen"][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]See my work-Check out my album. "Git 'Er Done":D [/FONT][/COLOR]

Old 03-01-2010, 06:53 PM  
casadeclarks

Well today I was told that we will be down for 2 weeks the end of this month, that will be a good time for this project. I was trying to get it done already but things just keep getting in the way (life has a way of doing this) but I am kind of glad because I keep getting usable info here from you. THANKS for it all.

Quick Reply