DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum

DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum (http://www.houserepairtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Electrical and Wiring (http://www.houserepairtalk.com/f9/)
-   -   Outlet starts having sparks (http://www.houserepairtalk.com/f9/outlet-starts-having-sparks-12722/)

SBay_ecologist 12-11-2011 12:28 AM

Outlet starts having sparks
 
Hello All:

A week ago I started smelling something burning when I use the microwave.

Then my wife pointed out that sparks are coming out of the outlet.

I opened the outlet out and filmed it. (See the following. "wmv" movie is a bit shorter. https://picasaweb.google.com/Keep.Earth.Clean/Sparks?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCNuVvfjalNSFugE&fe at=directlink )

My questions are as follows:

- Why all of a sudden this started happening?

- Do microwaves start consuming more power as they get older? Could this be the reason for the sparks?

- Would changing the outlet solve the problem?

Thanks!

nealtw 12-11-2011 12:41 AM

Turn the breaker off now, You have house fire looking for fuel. I think you just need a new outlet and clean out the box.

JoeD 12-11-2011 08:08 AM

You have a loose connection. Turn off the breaker and replace the receptacle. You might need to cut a small amount of wire off to get a clean connection.

DO NOT CONTINUE TO USE IT LIKE THIS.

SBay_ecologist 12-11-2011 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeD (Post 64941)
You have a loose connection. Turn off the breaker and replace the receptacle. You might need to cut a small amount of wire off to get a clean connection.

DO NOT CONTINUE TO USE IT LIKE THIS.

How did this loose connection come about? I have been using this outlet for well over three years withou any problem.

Thanks!

nealtw 12-11-2011 08:18 PM

It's done what do you need to know? You want to check the wires, if you have aluminium you want to get an outlet that matches.

JoeD 12-11-2011 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SBay_ecologist (Post 64970)
How did this loose connection come about? I have been using this outlet for well over three years withou any problem.

Thanks!

Heat. Once it is loose heat develops. When it heats it expands and contacts making it even looser.

SBay_ecologist 12-12-2011 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nealtw (Post 64971)
It's done what do you need to know? You want to check the wires, if you have aluminium you want to get an outlet that matches.

The reason I want to know is to see if I can prevent this happening in the future.

Regards

SBay_ecologist 12-12-2011 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeD (Post 64972)
Heat. Once it is loose heat develops. When it heats it expands and contacts making it even looser.

So, do I need to periodically open the outlets where there is high current draw and tighten the screws?

Thanks

nealtw 12-12-2011 04:44 PM

I just wanted to make the point that it was dangerous, Perhaps when you have it out and tell us what you found, and someone can tell you what caused it. You do want to match it to the wire and don't buy the cheapest one.

JoeD 12-12-2011 07:42 PM

It is possible it was never tighten properly when first installed.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:45 AM.