DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Electrical and Wiring > Outlet starts having sparks




Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2011, 12:28 AM  
SBay_ecologist
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Santa Clara, california
Posts: 23
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Outlet starts having sparks

Hello All:

A week ago I started smelling something burning when I use the microwave.

Then my wife pointed out that sparks are coming out of the outlet.

I opened the outlet out and filmed it. (See the following. "wmv" movie is a bit shorter. https://picasaweb.google.com/Keep.Earth.Clean/Sparks?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCNuVvfjalNSFugE&fe at=directlink )

My questions are as follows:

- Why all of a sudden this started happening?

- Do microwaves start consuming more power as they get older? Could this be the reason for the sparks?

- Would changing the outlet solve the problem?

Thanks!



__________________
SBay_ecologist is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2011, 12:41 AM  
nealtw
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: vancouver, b.c.
Posts: 8,815
Liked 659 Times on 590 Posts
Likes Given: 1168

Default

Turn the breaker off now, You have house fire looking for fuel. I think you just need a new outlet and clean out the box.



__________________
nealtw is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2011, 08:08 AM  
JoeD
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Welland, Ontario
Posts: 915
Liked 86 Times on 72 Posts

Default

You have a loose connection. Turn off the breaker and replace the receptacle. You might need to cut a small amount of wire off to get a clean connection.

DO NOT CONTINUE TO USE IT LIKE THIS.

__________________
JoeD is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2011, 07:51 PM  
SBay_ecologist
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Santa Clara, california
Posts: 23
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeD View Post
You have a loose connection. Turn off the breaker and replace the receptacle. You might need to cut a small amount of wire off to get a clean connection.

DO NOT CONTINUE TO USE IT LIKE THIS.
How did this loose connection come about? I have been using this outlet for well over three years withou any problem.

Thanks!
__________________
SBay_ecologist is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2011, 08:18 PM  
nealtw
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: vancouver, b.c.
Posts: 8,815
Liked 659 Times on 590 Posts
Likes Given: 1168

Default

It's done what do you need to know? You want to check the wires, if you have aluminium you want to get an outlet that matches.

__________________
nealtw is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2011, 08:54 PM  
JoeD
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Welland, Ontario
Posts: 915
Liked 86 Times on 72 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBay_ecologist View Post
How did this loose connection come about? I have been using this outlet for well over three years withou any problem.

Thanks!
Heat. Once it is loose heat develops. When it heats it expands and contacts making it even looser.
__________________
JoeD is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2011, 01:15 PM  
SBay_ecologist
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Santa Clara, california
Posts: 23
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealtw View Post
It's done what do you need to know? You want to check the wires, if you have aluminium you want to get an outlet that matches.
The reason I want to know is to see if I can prevent this happening in the future.

Regards
__________________
SBay_ecologist is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2011, 01:17 PM  
SBay_ecologist
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Santa Clara, california
Posts: 23
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeD View Post
Heat. Once it is loose heat develops. When it heats it expands and contacts making it even looser.
So, do I need to periodically open the outlets where there is high current draw and tighten the screws?

Thanks
__________________
SBay_ecologist is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2011, 04:44 PM  
nealtw
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: vancouver, b.c.
Posts: 8,815
Liked 659 Times on 590 Posts
Likes Given: 1168

Default

I just wanted to make the point that it was dangerous, Perhaps when you have it out and tell us what you found, and someone can tell you what caused it. You do want to match it to the wire and don't buy the cheapest one.

__________________
nealtw is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2011, 07:42 PM  
JoeD
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Welland, Ontario
Posts: 915
Liked 86 Times on 72 Posts

Default

It is possible it was never tighten properly when first installed.



__________________
JoeD is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter DIY Home Repair Forum Replies Last Post
Outlet gone bad sirenwerks Electrical and Wiring 4 05-27-2010 04:57 PM
A/C Question: Just replaced Fan Control Unit and now the Blower false starts cooling redmachodevil HVAC 0 08-10-2008 10:14 AM
Stapling electrical wire triggers sparks pressureseal Electrical and Wiring 9 08-05-2008 10:19 AM
Furnace false starts switaz22 Introductions 1 01-07-2007 12:30 PM
furnace false starts switaz22 HVAC 1 01-07-2007 12:26 PM