Originally Posted by nealtw
I just wanted to make the point that it was dangerous, Perhaps when you have it out and tell us what you found, and someone can tell you what caused it. You do want to match it to the wire and don't buy the cheapest one.
Here is what I found out:
- The three-prong outlet was put in place of a two-prong outlet, existence of proper grounding is unknown.
- The connection on the right [see photos] was loose.
- Sparks and overheating has melted and partially burned the plastic parts of the outlet [see photos].
Photos are at: https://picasaweb.google.com/116812378183066102939/Spark_2?authkey=Gv1sRgCI728v3H9p3A7AE#
Here is what I have done:
- Replaced the three-prong outlet with a new one.
- I cut back the bare copper a bit, and cleaned the oxidation/dark matter off.
- As per one of the options on the outlet packaging, rather than wrapping the wire around the terminal screws, I just inserted the tip of the wires under the them. Tightened them well.
I realize I need to check for proper grounding, that's for later. I have been following another post on replacing two-prong outlets with three-prong ones. Got some ideas from there...