DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Electrical and Wiring > Outlets don't work

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-15-2008, 03:42 PM  
ripley813

Default Outlets don't work

Hi,

I am a new home owner and my outlets stopped working in all of the bathrooms, garage, and on the patio. The fuse box switch is in the right direction and I've flipped it just to make sure. When I moved in, an outdoor spa came with the house. The previous owners plugged it into a regular outlet and turned one of the prongs on the plug to make it work. It blew the fuse several times and the outlets eventually stopped working.

Because I am a female, I don't want to get ripped off if this is something minor. Can someone tell me what the problem might be or how to fix it/the cost of fixing?

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2008, 03:59 PM  
kok328
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 100 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 61

I can't tell for sure but, it sounds like the spa was not wired to code if it is taking out other outlets & fixtures.
I also think they had a 20A outlet which would explain the turning of the neutral prong to get a 15A plug to work.
Technically, the problem is a little more than minor if you would like things to be wired up the way they should be.
You'll also have to be somewhat familiar with working with electricity to repair this safely.

Old 05-16-2008, 05:57 AM  
CraigFL

Because you said the outlets were for "bathrooms, garage, and on the patio", the first thing I would suspect is the ground fault interruptor circuit is tripped. This could be in the box as part of the circuit breaker but more likely is on one of the outlets in this location. Code says that you can have one of these GFI type outlets protecting multiple other outlets downline of that one.

Therefore, the first thing you need to do is unplug that Spa, and look at every outlet in those locations. One(or more) may have tripped so that you may need to push the red resert button to make the outlets work.

If that doesn't solve it, excessive tripping of breakers can cause failure so it may need to be replaced.

Old 05-18-2008, 09:12 AM  
JoeD
Contractor

Liked 91 Times on 76 Posts

All those receptacles are supposed to be protect by GFCI. Look around in all the room that have the dead receptacles for the GFCI and reset it. A GFCI is the receptacle with the test and reset button. Look all around the inside of the garage. Often when people say they don't have one, it turns out be in the garage behind a pile of boxes that hasn't moved in years or behind the beer fridge.

Old 05-25-2008, 01:13 AM  
triple D

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default progress check

Did you figure it out yet? We dont want you to have to pay someone to do this....Let us know where your at with this.

[COLOR="DarkGreen"][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]See my work-Check out my album. "Git 'Er Done":D [/FONT][/COLOR]

Old 05-07-2010, 09:18 AM  
Lightingguru

It sounds like you have an gfi that has tripped in a bathoom our out side. Check all the outlets for a gfi and reset it.

Old 05-08-2010, 05:12 PM  
travelover

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightingguru View Post
It sounds like you have an gfi that has tripped in a bathoom our out side. Check all the outlets for a gfi and reset it.
Look at the dates - two years ago.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:01 AM  
ohmy

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I love how she says "ripped off" when she really means don't want to pay a professional. Nothing wrong with cruising the internet for free advice when you can't afford to hire someone but don't insult the professionals while your asking for help.

www.TECertifiedElectricians.com

Old 01-09-2011, 12:13 PM  
Scripty

Default Ripped off

I think what she meant was, if it were a minor problem (e.g. resetting the GFI buttons) she didn't want some "professional" to insist that she had to have her whole house rewired and charge her several thousand dollars.

I had a guy come in to repair my garage door opener (replacing a gear for about $100) and he insisted that my spring needed to be replaced. He claimed they need to be replaced every 5 years of so, and he could do it for $800. I got online immediately and discovered that 1) they don't need to be replaced until they break and 2) the repair shouldn't cost any more than $400.

So some so-called "professionals" are not above trying to bilk the inexperienced (especially women) into paying for pricey unnecessary work.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:54 PM  
speedy petey
Lic.Electrical Contractor

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scripty View Post
I think what she meant was, if it were a minor problem (e.g. resetting the GFI buttons) she didn't want some "professional" to insist that she had to have her whole house rewired and charge her several thousand dollars.
First off, this is about a broad and dramatic a generalization as I have heard in a while.
Second, please check the dates of the pots you are replying to. This one is 8 months old.

Quick Reply