DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Electrical and Wiring > Phone Jack Wiring trouble

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2010, 07:16 PM  
kfitz

Default Phone Jack Wiring trouble

I had a little problem with the phone jack in my kitchen - the jack was broken, so I tried to replace it. When I took the jack off, I found two connectors in the wall. They look like this

http://http://www.flickr.com/photos/44625544@N02/5240026402/

Now, I have two problems. 1) one of the gray connectors is broken, and I can't seem to find a replacement. 2) The green wire is missing. the hardware store I went to sold me new phone wire, but it was much thicker than the wire coming out of my wall (that's how I broke the gray connector). I thought I could just run wire from above the gray connectors to my new jack, but that won't work since the wires are looped in the gray connectors, and there is nowhere that I can see to tie in to those wires.

Any ideas as to how I can install a new phone jack? Needless to say, I don't have any experience with phone wire and I'm not sure how to fix this.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2011, 01:31 PM  
nealtw

Liked 690 Times on 617 Posts
Likes Given: 1211

Photo will not open
did you solve this yet

Old 01-26-2011, 03:14 PM  
whodatnuge

the gray connector is just a clamp on connector. you can cut it out. whatever two colors you hook up at the jack, you need to hook the same two colors up outside at the box. It dosen't matter what two colors. Most common is red/green or white w/blue stripe/blue, but any two colors will work.

Old 02-04-2011, 02:41 AM  
frozenstar

Broken image. Can't open the file. How did you go with it?

[I]“You can always get someone to love you, even if you have to [B]do it yourself[/B]”[/I]
[I][SIZE="1"][/URL][/SIZE][/I]

Quick Reply