DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Electrical and Wiring > Pig Tailing outlets




Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-28-2008, 10:40 AM  
glennjanie
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 2,990
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie
Default

Pigtails also allow you to stuff all the bulk of wire back into the box and only contend with bending 3 wires into an 'S' pattern to allow the sw or rec to go in al lot easier.
Glenn



__________________
glennjanie is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2008, 10:52 AM  
BimmerJon
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 26
Send a message via AIM to BimmerJon
Default

I pigtail all my connections that way if one light or outlet goes out, the other ones dont follow! Then you have to test and trace all the outlets to find the bad one...

A little extra work in the beginning saves a lot of time in the end...



__________________
BimmerJon is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2008, 03:45 PM  
speedy petey
Lic.Electrical Contractor
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 445
Liked 39 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default

If you make proper terminations and use the screws on a device they won't "go out".

__________________
speedy petey is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2008, 04:47 PM  
BimmerJon
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 26
Send a message via AIM to BimmerJon
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy petey View Post
If you make proper terminations and use the screws on a device they won't "go out".
I hear ya, but just in case. Outlets and lights DO fail sometimes. Its not impossible.

Then again, youre the electrician and Im the network engineer, so this is your game
__________________
BimmerJon is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2008, 05:44 AM  
speedy petey
Lic.Electrical Contractor
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 445
Liked 39 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerJon View Post
I hear ya, but just in case. Outlets and lights DO fail sometimes. Its not impossible.
You are absolutely correct.

Thing is, the number of times a receptacle will actually fail, I will take the chance and do it the approved and common way and use the screws. IMO to pigtail in a residence is useless overkill and only done to be self satisfying, like saying: "I do a better job. I pigtail."
Even the cheapest $.39 receptacle is rated and capable of carrying and passing through ANY circuit it is legally installed on. The key is more workmanship than parts failure.

Commercially, where it is likely that you will have to replace devices live, I can totally see the merit in it. In a residence you DO NOT have to work live and nothing is so critical (other than maybe medical equipment, but that's a different and rare situation).
__________________
speedy petey is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2008, 06:58 AM  
BimmerJon
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 26
Send a message via AIM to BimmerJon
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy petey View Post
You are absolutely correct.

Thing is, the number of times a receptacle will actually fail, I will take the chance and do it the approved and common way and use the screws. IMO to pigtail in a residence is useless overkill and only done to be self satisfying, like saying: "I do a better job. I pigtail."
Even the cheapest $.39 receptacle is rated and capable of carrying and passing through ANY circuit it is legally installed on. The key is more workmanship than parts failure.

Commercially, where it is likely that you will have to replace devices live, I can totally see the merit in it. In a residence you DO NOT have to work live and nothing is so critical (other than maybe medical equipment, but that's a different and rare situation).
Good Points.

How do you feel about using the holes. I mean not using the screws and using the backplate holes. I know Im not using the right wording. lol

Where you insert the wire into the slot in the back.
__________________
BimmerJon is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2008, 07:14 AM  
kok328
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Grand Blanc, MI
Posts: 2,196
Liked 112 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Default

The only "hole" connection I will use is the type where the lug actually pulls a flag closed onto the wire. I work strictly with single stranded wire. I would never use the stab in outlet types for stranded or solid core.

__________________
kok328 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2008, 09:42 AM  
Parrothead
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: , WI
Posts: 65
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerJon View Post
Good Points.

How do you feel about using the holes. I mean not using the screws and using the backplate holes. I know Im not using the right wording. lol

Where you insert the wire into the slot in the back.
We call it "backstabbing". Those connections don't last, and IMHO are just a fire waiting to happen.
__________________
Parrothead is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2008, 10:21 AM  
Square Eye
Senior Member
 
Square Eye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,273
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default

Stab locks are legal to code and as long as they are, people will continue to use them.

I see screws vs. stab locks much like this. If someone were to invent and market a drive on replacement for a lug nut on your car, would you use them or stick with the security and time tested and proven lug nuts that we've been using all of these years?

It only takes a few seconds longer to wrap a wire around a screw and tighten. I have never left a job wondering how long a screw would hold a copper wire. The connection is much better, The surface area from wire to device in constant contact is much greater and the binding pressure much stronger when you use a screw rather than with a stab lock.

__________________

[URL="http://www.houserepairtalk.com/announcement.php?f=39&a=6"][size=3]The Ten Commandments of House Repair Talk[/size][/URL]



[URL="http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=289528&ck="]Square Eye's home page[/URL]

Square Eye is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2008, 03:00 PM  
speedy petey
Lic.Electrical Contractor
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 445
Liked 39 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default

What Parrot and KOK said!!!



__________________
speedy petey is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter DIY Home Repair Forum Replies Last Post
Outlets don't work ripley813 Electrical and Wiring 11 09-04-2013 07:06 PM
Open Ground Outlets xiolo Electrical and Wiring 5 10-12-2008 11:06 PM
Removed outlets & switches but lost power to others? Amber Electrical and Wiring 4 04-14-2008 06:15 PM
How many electrical outlets for a new kitchen? phreaq General Home Improvement Discussion 5 09-28-2007 02:09 PM
Outlets Grounded??? bobo60 Electrical and Wiring 4 03-30-2006 02:14 PM