DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Electrical and Wiring > Plug outlets are slowly gooing out.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-15-2012, 02:14 PM  
texan1

Default Plug outlets are slowly gooing out.

My bathroom outlets went out the two of my kitchen outlets went out and now the from porch outlet just went out. I hit the reset on all the outlets that have it. I changes all the outlets that stopped working. I don't think it's the breakers, I have reset them all. I don't want to bring in an electrician and spend a couple hundred dollars to get this fixed. Can some one walk me through this and et this fixed? Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2012, 03:08 PM  
Wuzzat?
Banned

Liked 167 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Hidden GFCI outlets somewhere upstream of these outlets?

The way to tell is if you lost both the neutral and the hot in each outlet.

Old 12-15-2012, 03:16 PM  
texan1

Isn't that the outlets with the reset button on them? If not how do I find the gcfi?

Old 12-15-2012, 03:39 PM  
Wuzzat?
Banned

Liked 167 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan1 View Post
Isn't that the outlets with the reset button on them? If not how do I find the gcfi?
Yes, with the buttons.

One option if you have lost only a neutral [long slot] or a hot [short slot] is to look in the outlet string for the open circuit. It could be a bad wirenut install or it could be a bad backstabbed outlet.
One way would be to put a turned-on radio on the dead outlet and push on the others that are upstream in the run back to the load center until the radio comes to life. In this case you have to know in what sequence the outlets are wired - or - you can measure this.

As to Texas, I spent some time in SA as a guest of the USAF. I was also married to a pig [from Virginia] at the time so there was some advantage in serving my terms concurrently instead of consecutively.

Last edited by Wuzzat?; 12-15-2012 at 03:43 PM.

Old 12-15-2012, 09:42 PM  
smudge

If done properly you should have only one GFCI outlet per circuit. If not correctly installed all outlets downstream will not work. I would remove the GFCI and make sure you have power there. If you do it and its neutral should be connected to the "Line side" of the GFCI. The other wires are connected to the "Load side" if you get the two mixed up nothing will work.

Old 12-18-2012, 10:10 AM  
Fireguy5674

Liked 35 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 20

If I understand your post correctly these outlets have failed at different times? A couple, then a couple more and then a final one? What kind of tester do you have to check the circuit? Are all the dead outlets on one circuit? Maybe you have a bad breaker. See if you can determine if the outlets are all on a single circuit. If you can determine which breaker the circuit is on you can start at the beginning by checking for power coming from the breaker and make sure the wire connections are tight for the power, the neutral and the ground. Then go to your outlets and do the same for each of them. Check your GFI to make sure the line, load is correct as suggested by Smudge. Seems very strange they are failing a few at a time.

Old 12-18-2012, 10:47 AM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 794 Times on 709 Posts
Likes Given: 1354

If this is all on one cercuit, you have to find where that wire goes first. Say if the power goes to the bathoom light first and then goes to the outlets and switches and then to all other plugs, you would look at the wire nuts at the light fixture.

Old 01-13-2013, 05:23 PM  
texan1

Sorry for not replying earlier, the holidays took all my time away. If I replace the gfci, with a regular outlet just to test it will that work? Do I take my light fixture out and check the wires their? Even though it works? Let me know thanks

Old 01-13-2013, 10:00 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 794 Times on 709 Posts
Likes Given: 1354

The problem you have now is to figure out circuit all these outlets are on and where the wires are going. If you can figure that out and it is a light that is still working and everything after that is out. When you open it up you should find that all blacks are nuted together and all whites are nutted together, with short pigtails going to the fixture. If one of the black or white wires are loose in the wire nut or you see hints of overheating, you may have found the problem.
If everything there looks good you want to check the next plug or fixture in line and see if there is problem there.

Quick Reply