DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Electrical and Wiring > quick question

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2008, 06:43 PM  
triple D

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default 14-3 ?

Hoarea,
To my knowlege you may not wire two arc fault circuits on a 3-wire cable. Sure there are 2-pull afci but you may not have two circuits on a single pull double throw breaker that land in different places. Please wire your room with 2 wire romex or if you need two circuits 14-4 will suit you, or 12ga but 20 amp arc faults cost a bit more. A 2pull arc fault would be for a 240volt load,I.E. a heater or something. Good luck!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2008, 07:47 PM  
speedy petey
Lic.Electrical Contractor

Liked 39 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Triple, I hate to sound confrontational, but are you even an electrician?

Quote:
Originally Posted by triple D View Post
To my knowlege you may not wire two arc fault circuits on a 3-wire cable. Sure there are 2-pull afci but you may not have two circuits on a single pull double throw breaker that land in different places.
First off, there is NO such thing as a SPDT breaker. There are single, double and three pole breakers.
You most certainly CAN have two circuits (meaning one multi-wire circuit) from a double-pole AFCI breaker. This is SPECIFICALLY what 2-pole AFCIs are made for.

Quote:
Please wire your room with 2 wire romex or if you need two circuits 14-4 will suit you, or 12ga but 20 amp arc faults cost a bit more.
He DOES NOT need 14/4. And 15a AFCIs cost the same as 20a AFCIs.

Quote:
A 2pull arc fault would be for a 240volt load,I.E. a heater or something. Good luck!
A 240v load does NOT even require AFCI protection.

Old 02-10-2008, 01:58 PM  
Parrothead

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
All power in a bedroom must be on a arc-fault breaker,
Probably, but not necessarily. WI has not yet adopted that particular code (could change in '08) so you might want to check the code in PA.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:54 PM  
triple D

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Oops!

"To my knowledge," means just that. I guess you got me on a technicality, although if I were pulling in two new circuits and they were arc fault circuits, they would not be on a 14-3. The cost of two wires and two breakers is still far less than a two pole arc fault. The money you save by using 14-3 on the average home run might be around $15 for a 70-80 ft. run. The increase from 2 single pole breakers to 1 two pole breaker could be as much as $75 depending on brand and store. I'm all about getting the job done correctly and as inexpensively as possible.

Hoarea, I sure hope you found the answer you were looking for somewhere in here, and maybe a good laugh or two. Good Luck...

[COLOR="DarkGreen"][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]See my work-Check out my album. "Git 'Er Done":D [/FONT][/COLOR]

Old 02-12-2008, 05:05 AM  
speedy petey

Quote:
"To my knowledge," means just that. I guess you got me on a technicality, although if I were pulling in two new circuits and they were arc fault circuits, they would not be on a 14-3. The cost of two wires and two breakers is still far less than a two pole arc fault. The money you save by using 14-3 on the average home run might be around $15 for a 70-80 ft. run. The increase from 2 single pole breakers to 1 two pole breaker could be as much as $75 depending on brand and store. I'm all about getting the job done correctly and as inexpensively as possible.

Hoarea, I sure hope you found the answer you were looking for somewhere in here, and maybe a good laugh or two. Good Luck...
"...far less.." "...$75...." I don't think so.
A double pole AFCI is about the same cost as two single poles.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:32 AM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

Hey Dan:
Speedy Petey is a thoroughly experienced electrician who knows what he is talking about. I often skip over the electrical questions and leave them for him. If I answer one, it is because I know for sure I'm right.
You guys play nice now, we don't need any spatting on here.
Glenn

Old 02-20-2008, 08:49 PM  
JoeD
Contractor

Liked 102 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy petey View Post
To answer the original question, there is NO limit to the number of receptacles on a circuit in a residence.
We just use common sense and take into account the intended use when figuring circuits.
The OP is in Canada. The limit is 12 outlets per circuit. That includes lights, receptacles, fans, etc.

Old 02-21-2008, 05:05 AM  
speedy petey

You're right, and I knew that, and I generally notice a poster's location.

It is possible that this was added after the thread was started. If not I apologize.

Quick Reply