DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Electrical and Wiring > Rare single-button light switch

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2008, 05:44 PM  
keithk

Default Touchplate has your answer.

It is great that you have bought such nice homes with some invaluable wiring in them. Touchplate is the place to go to find answers to your issues. Touchplate has switches which would replace your old switches, but because of asthetics you may have to replace them all so they all look the same.
The guy with the touchplate system who was looking for dimming, touchplate has several different options for this purpose. Some with more features than others. You will have to replace the relay cabinet wherever it may be, but the switches and wiring will still work with the new system. This upgrade will save you in the future with trouble shooting problems though, because the technology you probably have is from the 1940's. Give them a call at 260-426-1565 or check out the website. www.Touchplate.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2008, 04:01 PM  
PKErickson

Default Tap-Lites

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshep975 View Post
After some pretty thorough investigating, I found these switches were made by Honeywell, and called "Tap-Lite." Apparently everything in the early 60's had to be operated at the push of a button :-) Anyway, I have looked and looked, and have not found anyone that still has some of these available. Ebay will ocassionally have one or two pop up, but typically the seller does not know what it is they are listing, so the description makes them almost impossible to search for. What we will probably end up doing is replacing them in a number of rooms with standard toggle switches, then use the older ones for replacement parts. It is too bad, because I really like the Tap-Lites.
Did you ever find a source for replacement parts? I have a great need for the single and double button face plates.

Old 03-18-2008, 07:08 PM  
wolfenstien

I have not came across any single button, but I have the 2 buttons, and with the buttons being round, I have replaced several covers by buying blanks, measuring out the holes and using my drill press to drill new holes, and lightly sand around the holes to smooth. The work and look great.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:27 PM  
Casey666

Default Tap-Lite

My wife and I just bought a 1960 ranch house with Honeywell Tap-lite switches. I spoke with Honeywell but they sold the product line to a company called "Tap-Lite, Inc." who went bankrupt. It also appears that Honeywell bought the switches originally from a company called "Micro Switch" in the late 1950's. We're in the same boat as everyone else in that we would like some new plates: singles, doubles, triples, and quads. What I may do is pool the good plates in one or two of the public rooms in the house and replace the other switches, and receptacles, with Leviton's Decora rocker switches...not retro but very classy switches.

If anyone finds a supply of the push button switches I would be interested in buying some

Old 02-24-2009, 08:58 PM  
JJHuggins

I have a 1965 house with some original Honeywell Tap-Lite switches. The switches I have are line voltage (120 v), not low-voltage relays as others describe in this thread.

In my home the Tap-Lite switches were used only in bathrooms that were originally wallpapered. The switch plates I have are clear, and designed to hold a pattern-matched swatch of wallpaper so that the switchplate blends into the wall.

If anyone has any unused clear plastic switchplates (single or double gang) for these Tap-Lite switches, or is interested in sharing the cost of having a batch manufactured, please reply to this post.

Old 11-01-2009, 10:37 AM  
Jager1007

Default Honeywell Tap-lites switches and covers

I found this thread looking for replacement covers and tap-lite switches for the unique 1950's ranch style home light switches. I would be interested in making a " group " purchase for these items if anyone else is interested. If enough interest is known to a company, in these times you would think they would put their best man on it and manufacturer them. So far I have combed the universe and these seem to be unobtainable. My search continues for a company willing to remanufacturer them. If I suceed, I'll post.

Old 11-02-2009, 05:21 AM  
locknut

jkirby65: If your switches are the old type with two PBs that I'm familiar with, you may find them at a flea market or ask some electrical dealers if they have any old (archaic) stock. They'd love to get rid of them. On this sort, when you push one button, the other pops back out. More years ago than I care to count, I replaced these. They were going out of style then. Most people did not care for them.

Old 12-02-2009, 03:36 PM  
pdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager1007 View Post
I found this thread looking for replacement covers and tap-lite switches for the unique 1950's ranch style home light switches. I would be interested in making a " group " purchase for these items if anyone else is interested. If enough interest is known to a company, in these times you would think they would put their best man on it and manufacturer them. So far I have combed the universe and these seem to be unobtainable. My search continues for a company willing to remanufacturer them. If I suceed, I'll post.
I would be interested in purchasing some if you find a way to manufacture them. I have several of the Tap-Lites in our home however a couple of the covers are cracked. Are you looking to manufacture the entire switch or just the covers?

Old 05-02-2010, 10:08 PM  
jaxcris

I would love to get ahold of some of the switch plates for the Honeywell Tap Lights. I have a 50's house in Florida and I love them, but my switch plate covers are all breaking. I need single and double, but have 1 triple as well. If anyone has any extra "guts" (pushbutton part), I wouldn't mind having a few spares. Will go in to have some manufactured as well... A house we had in Portland, Oregon had the low voltage rocker relay switches, which we found out the hard way can't be replaced with standard switches - the light went on but never off! We got spare switches and relay box from an old electrician but I haven't had any luck with the Tap-lights...

Old 06-06-2010, 11:30 PM  
70chevelless

This is great I have a house built in 58 & have the Honeywell Tap Lite the only way I knew what it was is by taking the covers off to paint & the original decorating instructions were on the back. I have them in all the rooms from one, two, & three, buttons plus extras in the basement. Only trouble is I can not find covers for them & the two & three covers are cracked but all work great (and they are not low voltage as many are saying) Anyway I would be very intrested in going in on the cost of having some manufactured I think they are better looking than anything that is out on the market today. I have gone to every electrical store & nobody has any but all are amazed by them. So if this is not to late please count me in.

Quick Reply