DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Electrical and Wiring > recommended sockets for a 15 amp line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-28-2013, 10:24 AM  
drewdin

Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 78

Default recommended sockets for a 15 amp line

I have a questions about the amont of sockets that can be installed for a 15 amp line, i know it's kind of a generic question as who knows what ill be plugging into those sockets.

Is there a rule of thumb or is it install what you need and if there's an issue unplug some stuff? Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2013, 01:21 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 721 Times on 643 Posts
Likes Given: 1266

It was up there like 10 or 12 lights and plugs. Now I think you seperate the lights from the plugs. You do want to figure where some of the more demanding things will be used. Portable heater, AC, vacumns, entertainment centers. 1800 watts is all you get.

Old 03-28-2013, 01:25 PM  
drewdin

I'm fitting my garage with lights and sockets, there will be pool stuff and a garage door opener. I know that will suck up most of the juice, Ill separate the other by sockets and lights.

I have a 20 amp line to the garage at the moment, how can I calculate how much amperage i need to see if I need a 30 or 60 amp?

Right now there is 1927 wires and switches all over and they stink. I plan on having about 7 sockets, four lights, pool filter, 3/4 hp garage door.

Last edited by drewdin; 03-28-2013 at 01:32 PM.

Old 03-28-2013, 02:19 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

These guys put out books that are a great for home owners, we can find them in every lumber yard except HD
http://www.psknight.com/

Old 03-28-2013, 04:50 PM  
JoeD
Contractor

Liked 91 Times on 76 Posts

Since you didn't post your location I will say in Canada you are limited by code to 12 outlets per circuit. An outlet is a light, receptacle, fan or any device that draws power. A switch is not an outlet.

The NEC (USA) does not have a limit. Put as many as feel can be safely used on a circuit.

Old 03-28-2013, 05:46 PM  
drewdin

I'm in Boston MA, i'll adhere to your codes. Unlimited does not sound right, 12 seems enough.

Old 03-28-2013, 06:37 PM  
JoeD
Contractor

Liked 91 Times on 76 Posts

It depends on what the potential uses of the receptacles are. Five might be too many if they are for an bedroom where a hair dryer might be used or window AC plugged in during the summer or an area where a bunch of power tools might be used. A general living area where only one or two are likely to be used for lamps could probably handle a lot more.

Old 03-29-2013, 08:21 AM  
Fireguy5674

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I usually go fairly heavy in a garage where you have the potential for heavier loads. If you have a pool pump running, the lights on and you decide to run a saw as your wife opens or closes the garage door you are likely to pop a breaker or fuse. If you have the ability to run another circuit to the garage I would strongly suggest it. Or run a 30 amp or 50 amp to the garage and set a sub panel. If you do that you will need another ground rod or "equipment ground" for your sub panel. That will give you enough to handle your heavier loads potentially even a 220 welder if you have a need for that. Check your pool pump to see what it draws and determine what else you might want in the pool area.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:51 AM  
drewdin

I have a pool but no pump yet, I guess Ill have to run a 6/3 line to the garage and a grounding rod.

There was a special at granite city electric today, got 250ft of 14-2 for 50 bucks. I want to wire up the garage with as many sockets i could along with a few lights but I have to keep in mind that there is a garage door opener and pool pump.

Its a detached garage with no heat so I don't plan on being spending many nights there but i would like it to be convenient if i do want to occasionally run some tools or a small TV.

Old 03-29-2013, 12:25 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Just having a panel in a detached garage is a big plus when you sell the house. Run one cercuit just for lights. One for the door opener. One dedecated single in the back corner incase you ever want a compresser or some such. You will have to research the pool to know what you need there. Put the rest in so that they are less than 12 ft. apart. If you have room in the box you could divide them up but one cercuit would work fine and maybe one outside.

Quick Reply