DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Electrical and Wiring > recommended sockets for a 15 amp line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-29-2013, 02:21 PM  
drewdin

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 79

thanks neal, I plan on doing that this weekend.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2013, 09:29 AM  
Fireguy5674

Liked 35 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Just remember as a rule of thumb if your wire length exceeds 100' up need to jump up to the next size wire. So depending on the distance between the house and garage you may need to upgrade your wire.
Since this is a detached garage I would go minimum 60 amp sub panel with room for 6 to 8 breakers and run the conductors through PVC conduit, unless you have to cross the drive. Then you will need to go to Schedule 80 PVC or steel conduit under the drive.

Old 03-30-2013, 03:21 PM  
drewdin

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 79

@fireguy, what do you recommend for cable for the run, its about 125' run. I put a 6 breker panel in today and i plan on running the wires next week.

Right now there is the grey underground wire run to the garage, i think its 12 gauge.

Also, what do you recommend for a ground in the garage, do I just drive a spike into the earth 6'? thanks

Old 03-31-2013, 09:41 PM  
Fireguy5674

According to the voltage drop calculator I used at this sight:

http://www.southwire.com/support/voltage-drop-calculator.htm

You need a #4 copper wire in conduit to supply a 240 volt, 60 amp line the 125' to your garage. You will need a 60 amp double pole breaker at you main panel. Then you will need three #4 copper wires 125' long and 125' of PVC conduit and fittings. I think you will probably want to use 1 1/2" conduit. You might get by will 1 1/4" but don't try to get it to snug, it is not worth the fight.

For a ground you will need an 8 to 10 foot copper ground rod (check local requirements) with a #6 bare copper run from the sub panel to the ground rod and a ground clamp to attach the wire to the rod. Use 1/2" pvc conduit to protect your ground wire from the time it comes through the wall until it goes below the ground. To install a ground rod in my area the easiest way is to dig a 10 to 12 inch hole where you want to put the ground rod. Then pour 3 or 4 inches of water in the bottom of the hole. Push the ground rod into the ground as far as you can then pull it up and let the water run down the hole you just made. Push the rod in again as far as you can and remove it again. Repeat these steps and the rod will keep disappearing into the ground. After a couple of feet you do not need to remove the rod from the hole just keep working the rod up and down while keeping some water in your original hole. The entire length of an 8' rod should install in a few minutes. Set the top of your rod below the surface of the ground and bury the whole thing after your ground wire is hooked up.

Good luck and let me know if something is unclear.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:04 PM  
Fireguy5674

Oh, just to throw a few more decisions at you, I ran the calculations through for a 50 amp run. If you start adding up material costs and go "WOW!" you can drop to 50 amps and drop a wire size to a #6. That also means you can go to an 1 1/4" conduit. Your ground wire can go to a #8. Should lower your cost considerably if you choose to give up 10 amps.

Food for thought.

Old 05-02-2013, 06:39 PM  
donmorgan
Old Tired Dude

Code says 10 outlets I never go over 8 personally. I also make all the circuits I add 20 amp using #12 wire. Save problems down the road.

DIY Mobile Home Repair Manufactured Homes Repair Help at http://www.mobilehomemanufacturedhomes.com

Old 05-03-2013, 05:07 AM  
speedy petey
Lic.Electrical Contractor

Liked 39 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by donmorgan View Post
Code says 10 outlets I never go over 8 personally.
Unless you are in Canada please tell me what code says this?

Old 05-03-2013, 05:15 PM  
JoeD
Contractor

Liked 102 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Canadian code says 12 not 10 outlets.

Quick Reply