DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Electrical and Wiring > Security Alarms

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-16-2005, 07:10 PM  
remodmom

Default Security Alarms

Is it really worth the money you pay for ADT to have them monitor your home? Is there any other security companies that will do it for a little less than what they charge?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2005, 08:27 PM  
ProfJohn

How much are you paying per month? Did you pay for the installation? How much was that?

Old 09-17-2005, 02:32 PM  
remodmom

I haven't gotten yet, but they were asking $33 per month with no installation charge...some type of special they are running or something.

Old 09-23-2005, 08:31 AM  
Kashmir

That seems resonable to me!

Old 09-24-2005, 12:07 PM  
mikeb

Default Shop around.

I'd say shop around. In my area we have a company called Guardian and they're a bit cheaper than ADT and offer all the same services. I did my homework before going with them, checked the BBB, asked other people and got satisfactory reports from all.

Old 02-01-2006, 07:31 PM  
AustinDC

Any comments for the DC area?

$33 a month doesn't seem bad. However, my elderly aunt had was robbed with ADT installed. The thieves broke in, alarms blazing, and police in-route, grabbed her jewerly box and ran off. She really need a stonger door.

Old 03-14-2007, 02:04 PM  
Bobby_M

I pay 7.99 per month (one year prepay) and I know it works because I've false tripped it myself by accident a couple times already. Of course, this is possible because I bought and installed the system myself (about $600 in parts for a large colonial with all entrances monitored and 4 motion detectors.

Shop around for monitoring only... then pay someone a flat fee to install the system that you will own.

Bobby

Old 03-14-2007, 10:54 PM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

Hey Austin:
For the elderly aunt, I would recommend a Remington security systme; pump style.
Glenn

Old 03-30-2007, 12:41 PM  
AndyD5
The Cable Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to AndyD5

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennjanie View Post
Hey Austin:
For the elderly aunt, I would recommend a Remington security systme; pump style.
Glenn
I agree or the Winchester

I have had security alarms before the only use I've found of it was letting us know someone opens a door like when the kids are escaping unoticed the company i had was Monitronics I think we paid about 17.00 for basic monitoring and that meant we could push a panic button and get police or if we set it off they came here you have to get a permit to have an alarm and it cost more than the service so we didn't renew the service but the alarm is still functional I just disconnected it from the phone line if you pay higher price the alarms do more things like smoke and carbon detection too and some even notify the proper authority what's going on at your home ours if someone set it off when you're not home it would call your cell phone if you programed it in and then connect you to the monitoring company directly and if you set it off by mistake you could give them the password etc. Some of the new ones I've seen even have the sensors mortised into the door and some are in the lock and for a bit more there is a lockout service you use a code to get in on those electronic door locks and they can unlock them like that onstar thing in chevrolets. being worth the cost I don't know depends on how much you're home and what you're afraid might happen and what you many never think will happen but does.

-Andy the cable guy

I love to work on my house would love to help you with yours!

Old 12-24-2007, 08:08 AM  
booft

I am wondering myself if the install price is really worth it. Has anyone done this on their own before?

[url=http://www.learnhowtoplaster.com] Learn How To Plaster[/url]
Run By Plasterers For Plasterers
Time Served Spreads Ready To Help

Quick Reply