DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Electrical and Wiring > Service Panel

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-20-2006, 08:19 PM  
onryx2

Default Service Panel

I was thinking that I could replace my service panel myself, however, I was told that I should have a professional do it for me. What would be the better alternative? How much would something like this cost for an electrician to do it?

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2006, 12:57 PM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

Hello Onryx:
Changing the panel can become very complicated, be very dangerous and may even cause death. There is the ever present temptation to work the panel "hot". For a person like me who have a heart condition like atrial fibrilation, just a small jolt could be certain death. Do you know the exact condition of your heart?
This is one of those times when a professional is well worth his cost; whatever that cost is.
Glenn

Old 08-21-2006, 07:18 PM  
petey_racer
Licensed Electrician

IMO this is a classic case of: "If you have to ask....."
Unless you are a seasoned DIYer with a good many electrical projects under your belt, AND have a very good grasp of electrical work in general, AND know the codes involved with doing this sort of job...you can do it yourself.
If you have to ask: "Can I do it?", the answer is usually probably not.
Doing a few jobs around the house is typically not a primer for doing a service change. And there are many important codes involved with such a project.

A panel change is often not a panel change but a service change. It is rare when just changing the panel makes sense.

Cost?
100 amps? 200 amps? Overhead? Underground?

A "typical" 200 amp overhead service with the run of the mill existing circuits will run you in the $1200-$2500 range. In your area I'd bet on the lower end of the scale.

Please post back and let us know how it turns out....

Quick Reply